Fin rot question

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Rulu25, Jan 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

So I just noticed that one of my clown fish seems to have fin rot..... Again. Since August I've gone through about six clowns and I just keep losing one at a time. This current clown I've had since October and the other since September. I know water quality is the cause of fin rot but why is it only effecting one fish? This is the second time the other three fish in the tank have been fine. I don't think she's gonna make it through the night. Her fin is frayed, considerably whiter than the rest of her body, and she's hovering just above the sand.

Current params:
    pH: 8.4
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5 or 10 ppm
    Salinity: 1.026

Water feels warm but temp says 78

75 Gal. 90+ lbs. LR. Clownfish, Pijama Cardinal

Sent from my Tundabolt using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

What do you have for water circulation and what do you feed?

4. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

I have an EVO 1400 and 1050? I believe. Not sure what my return pump gives me. I feed twice a day, brine shrimp n mysis soaked in garlic. I use a turkey baster to make sure its a small amount

5. ingtar_shinowa

sounds good. I would switch to selcon in soaking your food and if that doesn't help QT and treat with antibiotics. YOu can treat a whole tank, but it can kill off your 'good' bacteria too perpetuating the water quality issue that can lead to fin rot. I would also vary their diet. If you ate cheeseburgers every meal, or ceasar salads for every meal, you wouldn't be super healthy. A couple foods along with selcon that help me beat HLLE as well as makeing my fish more active and colorful are:
    Saltwater Multi-Pack, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Seaweed Salad Brown, Red & Green San Francisco
    Formula Two Flakes - Ocean Nutrition
    Not that what you doing is bad, but this might help out as well.

6. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

Okay cool thanks. But what I don't understand is why is it just the ONE clown? The other one had dodged fin rot twice now! I'M SO CONFUSED

7. ingtar_shinowa

usually it only attacks fish with weakened immue systems. Just like not everyone gets a staph infection even though we constantly have contact with the bacteria.

8. Click Here!

9. emshofk

emshofk Astrea Snail

i just recently save a coral beauty from disaster. 2 weeks after introducing her to the tank her eyes clowded over, a fin started to cloud up and one eye was poping out severely. I put her in a tank with a very low salinity way low, barely registering, a dose of methaline blue and started dosing marycin. it took 10 days but she has recovered completely. I routinely fresh water dip my new fish for about 30 minutes then place them in this same condition for 3 days before introducing them into my tank. i took a chance on the coral beauty and paid the price. fresh water and low salinith seems to be harder on the people than it is on the fish. just be sure the ph is correct.

10. ingtar_shinowa

The exact same thing happened to my tang. I just fed him selcon soak frozen food and he's all better.