Filtration question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JKT69, Apr 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JKT69

JKT69 Astrea Snail

I have a RSM 130d (34g), up and running since Feb 7. I was in a slow cycle so the LFS gave me one their seeded filter pads from their reeftank to help me the get the bacteria filtration going...after a few weeks of that being in the tank, my parameters today are good, Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all 0.

My question is, the filter is impeeding my flow in the rear chamber, so, if I removed the filter would that cause me to mini-cycle? It is a black filter pad about the size of a large sheet of paper. It has all types of pods, small bugs, etc on it, so I am afraid to remove it to clean it, or rinse it out. So, just not sure what to do with it. I know I would like it gone eventually to help improve my water flow...

Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How much rock do you have? If you have enough rock, the bacteria should have colonized the rock now, so removing the pad shouldn't cause a new cycle. However, we will also need to know what you have in the tank. If you remove too much of the biological filtration at a time, there won't be enough bacteria to keep up with the production of ammonia, resulting in a new cycle.

4. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

you could try cutting the pad into thirds. remove one third every 2 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  5. JKT69

JKT69 Astrea Snail

Thanks. I have 20lbs of live rock, and 25lbs of base rock that I am hoping becomes live rock, I know it will in time....livestock consists of 2 damsels. Nothing else is in the tank.