filter box water level

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by frank_broderick, Mar 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. frank_broderick

frank_broderick Astrea Snail

Hello People finally got sump up and running and was wondering about the level of water in the back of the filter box? I"am running a cpr cs102 (1200 gph) with two one inch bulkheads.I have two one inch ball values on them so you could slow down flow.Mine seem to run with the sponge half covered is this correct? I though I read someplace that you want a lot of water spilling in you're filter box (turbulent) is this correct? Some more info Running mag 18 with about five feet of head that works out to be about 1200 gph without any pipping loss. I also have a one inch check value on the return side of pump sure that is adding flow loss. One side of filter box ( one inch pvc ) goes into wet/dry side of sump wide open. The other sided (one inch pvc) goes into refugium throttled back.I also have canister filter temporally dumpping water into sump.I will post a pic when wife gets home from vaction. Hope this works been fighting water quality now for two years!!!!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Do you have something to stop the water flow from the canister filter if the power goes off, or is the pickup for the filter in the sump to?

4. frank_broderick

The water for the canister filter comes from main tank I have drilled a hole in the pickup so not to flood the house. Think I will be getting rid of the canister as soon as the sump has cycled. What do you thaink about the filter box water level?

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=frank_broderick link=board=Filters;num=1111845651;start=0#0 date=03/26/05 at 09:00:51]Mine seem to run with the sponge half covered is this correct?[/quote]

That's fine.

[quote author=frank_broderick link=board=Filters;num=1111845651;start=0#0 date=03/26/05 at 09:00:51]
    I though I read someplace that you want a lot of water spilling in you're filter box (turbulent) is this correct?[/quote]

I'm not sure I follow this. You want good flow, but I don't know about a blender.

Note - I've never had ballvalves on my prefilters/overflows. Why do you need them? The overflow should adjust to your pump rate.

Also CPRs are 'cool' and low profile but they tend to jam from air blockage from what I hear and most end up buying the additional air pump thingy that sits on top of it to prevent this by bleeding air out of it.

6. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

[quote author=frank_broderick link=board=Filters;num=1111845651;start=0#2 date=03/26/05 at 12:01:56]The water for the canister filter comes from main tank I have drilled a hole in the pickup so not to flood the house. Think I will be getting rid of the canister as soon as the sump has cycled. What do you thaink about the filter box water level?[/quote]

Hey Frank,
    I would have the pick-up and the return of the canister either both in the display or the sump. This way you wouldn't have to worry about back siphon in a power failure. We use canisters for adding charcol to a coupple tanks. If you don't like the additional canister, many folks run charcol passivly in a sock in the sump.
    As to the water level in your ovf. I have not used a cpr ovf. It seams to me that if you have your return pump wide open and are not overflowing the tank.......all is good. If you are happy with the refugium flow and the rest of water is processed through the other drain you should be ok. A good reason to keep both drains full open is to act as a safeguard in case one gets cloged the other will handle your water flow.
    Scott

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=szidls link=board=Filters;num=1111845651;start=0#4 date=03/26/05 at 12:38:16]
    A good reason to keep both drains full open is to act as a safeguard in case one gets cloged the other will handle your water flow.
    Scott[/quote]

Good point Scott.

8. Click Here!

9. frank_broderick

Thanks for all the great input would not have beenable to do this project with all the help from the members of 3 reef!!!! How long do you think it should take for nitrates to drop with new sump????

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob.
    If nitrates drop from just adding a sump I think that is just from dilution from the added water volume.

Unless there is something in the sump that deals with nitrates. If you want to talk about nitrates, please start a new thread and we can figure out what is going on. ;)

[quote author=szidls link=board=Filters;num=1111845651;start=0#4 date=03/26/05 at 12:38:16]
    I would have the pick-up and the return of the canister either both in the display or the sump. [/quote]

Just caught this. He'd probably have to do the display since the canister is gravity fed. I say ditch the canister too and put the bags in the sump.

11. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

[quote author=Matt Rogers

Just caught this. He'd probably have to do the display since the canister is gravity fed. I say ditch the canister too and put the bags in the sump.
    [/quote]
    Didn't realize you didn't have a power canister filter. In that case I too would prolly get rid of it also. Less plumbing to deal with.
    Scott