Fighting Dinos(Brown Slime)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Travis45, Apr 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

while the light are off i would run some gfo and clean as much of it of the rocks and sand as possible.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

hear is a info page on the stuff

Dinoflagellates

Scientific Description- Light brownish menace. It looks like snot growing up from the rock or sand, with trapped air bubbles in it. Not to be confused with algae that has an air bubble that has landed on it, dinos make them. Not all species of dinos are bad the one pictured is though, and has caused many aquarists to tear down their tanks.

Manual Removal - Remove the rock and place it in a large saucepan. Add water enough to cover the rock. Boil the tar out of it. Rinse and repeat with scrubbing in between. Let dry for 3 days in sun.

Clean Up Crew- Don't bother.

Why it happened - You didn't quarantine, and you have available nutrients for it.

Starving it out - Use a phosban reactor or a macro like chaeto to take down phosphate. If you have a nitrate problem too, you can add more live rock or rubble to the tank, do some more wcs, add macro, add dsb, etc...

John's Tip - Reduce your phosphates and other nutrients. Iron needs to be controlled. (Everybody forgets about Iron but that can cause problems too.)

4. Newreef15

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

6. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thanks for all the help everyone. Yeah my lights are still off, slowly buffing the tank up to 11 KH. I'm ripping my sump apart and cleaning every last piece of detritus out of it as well. I looked in my tank this morning and saw hardly any dinos in it at all. My tank does get hit in the morning by light from the window, so I have been covering the tank with a thick blanket to keep all light out of it. I am running a polyreactor with the Phosar HC from Warner Marine. That seems to be taking effect as well. Happy Easter all.

1 person likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Happy Easter and congrats on getting control started. +1 on cleaning the hell out of everything.

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thank you. I pumped my sumps water down really low and then pulled out a shop vac and vaccumed all the detritus water off the bottom. Then I wiped down all the film in the sump and then did a 25 gallon water change. The tank is still sitting in the dark and is still covered with the blanket. I can still see a few dinos hanging on the glass but it seems to be regressing really fast. A few more days and I think they are history!

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thanks again. It took me about 4.5 to 5 hours to clean everything in my sump and the sump itself. It looks brand spanking new again and its going to stay looking that way. I cleaned out my skimmer and my media bags that I run in the sump with Purigen and Phosban. Those dang media bags love to grab all sorts of debris. I also ordered a new skimmer from a LFS and got a great price on it. I was running duel skimmers in my sump but I have come to the conclusion that Aqua Euro Skimmers are not the greatest. I noticed rust coming from the pump and thats the 2nd pump in 7 months of running that skimmer. So I just setup my ASM G1 skimmer back up and ordered a G2 which hopefully gets here this week. Fishtanks they always keep you busy ;D

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good for you, keep it going, we seem to have chosen a hobby that has multiple never ending battles all vying for our attention when we least expect of need it.