Fighting Dinos(Brown Slime)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Travis45, Apr 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Well I believe I'm going on about a week and half fighting this algae. Not very fun at all, even with strong current hitting it, it some how is able to still stick to the rock work and hang on. I purchased a poly reactor 2 days ago and have the Reef Pure Phosphar HC running in it. I have cut back on feeding and also pruned my chaeto a tad bit in my fuge to give some more room to grow. Oh and I have been turkey basting my rockwork up to two times a day. I bast in the morning and by the afternoon that brown slime is back on the rock work. I hope this stuff passes in time because this extra work on the tank is absolutely insane. :cry:

2. Click Here!

3. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

I am right there with ya. Ugh

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cyano gets lifted up and taken to a protein skimmer with additional current. With dino's, extra current FEEDS THEM!!! Move that powerhead pronto.

Also, siphon it out, turn off your lights for several days with your alk/pH elevated by dripping kalk during the day too. (Your corals will be fine without light for several days)

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah I'm going to clean the heck out of my sump tonight. Do a nice water change tomorrow. Then going to keep the lights off for a few days. I guess starving this algae out is the only way.

6. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah I moved all the powerheads in the tank. None of the dinos are being nailed by direct current anymore. Time for the starvation to begin;D.

7. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Well my lights have been off all day in my tank. I pulled out the stool and cleaned out my overflow completely. Found about 50 dwarf certihs, 5 limpets, and 4 hitch hiker chitons in it, so that was a nice find. Going to dose some KH buffer and tomorrow my sump is getting completely cleaned and a 20 gallon water change. I put a flashlight on my tank tonight and hardly saw any dinos at all. So i'm assuming they are living on the very little nutrients in my tank and mainly my lights. I will probably keep the lights off for a total of 5 days to see if that does the trick. Any other info on this nasty algae would be awesome? :-/

8. Click Here!

9. Ishymishy77

I think the smell bothers me more then anything at this point.

10. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I haven't smelled anything? My outbreak is very small but I'm taking all actions possible to destroy it before its taken my whole tank over.

11. Ishymishy77

Mine stinks bad. Syphoned a bunch out when we did a water change today. Thinkin of leaving lights out for a few days.

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

sipon it out i had dino for a few months it drove me to insanity i ended up taking down the tank and starting over. tak some rocks out and clean them in some saltwater, turn lights off for a wile the key with dino is keeping it under control