Few quistions about cleaning bio balls

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Hackem688, Nov 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I would be curious as to this as well. I would think the live rock would need to be submerged, and not wet / dry like the bio balls.

2. Click Here!

3. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

Yes Inquirering minds want to know.:confused:

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

What pard of PHX you from

5. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Just an update on this posting

Ok here is a weird one about Amphipods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted yesterday about cleaning bio balls so naturally after posting and getting my questions answered I finished the job I was researching. Here is were thinks surprised me the bio balls I soaked and cleansed in a plastic draw using water from my hose and new salt. So i cleansed them good and put them back in my tank. This morning when I went outside to dump the water there was lost of crap at the bottom they were so dirty it looked like sand bottom. After taking a closer look to my surprise I found several living Amphibods some about half inch long there was even a few small bristle worms running about. So whats so strange about that well the bio balls were outside for around a month which Menes these creatures can live in suspended states outside of water just that id share this info feel free to comment or even offer some incite.

_________

6. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I am over on the West side, close to the Cardinals, Coyotes.
    Around 35th Ave and Bethany Home Rd.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

nice i lived on 19th an Bethany a few years a go back in mesa now

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. MAZILLA

MAZILLA Flamingo Tongue

Live rock needs to be under water at all times. I suppose something could survive there if the "trickle" was heavy enough to keep it wet all the time. keeping it under water is sure fire, so why take the chance...

On the topic of bioballs, they are intended to give bacteria a place to thrive which is limited in a fish only, or a FOWLR with minimum rock. If you are running a good amount of rock it's not needed. Think of LR as bioballs u dont ever have to rinse. If not maintained intensely bioballs are just a source for trouble.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

at this point I think of them as an extra filter or and stage of my filter system

11. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

The live rock in my wet/dry is half under a trickle and half submerged. If you do this, the bottom half will be able to house small organisms and the top will be wet with highly oxegenated water making a perfect place for bacteria to grow.

12. MAZILLA

MAZILLA Flamingo Tongue

just about everything good that grows on LR will die if exposed to air, yes there may be a chance that something will thrive in that enviroment. Not knowing what in particular it is, or it's benefits to the tank, I dont see the point in wasting the precious space; again unless you are loaded up with LR and a few inches here or there wont matter.