Few questions About Calcium/Mag

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by destinationluna, Mar 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

For a refractometer might I suggest Big Als? a little cheaper plus i believe another discount is added for 3reef members. disregaurd if you already ordered

Refractometer

2. Click Here!

3. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

The new hydro is an instant ocean hydro that I just got. It is saying it is at 1.029 its jumping all over the place it goes up then back down then up and down. Thought it was kinda funny cuz I looked on the box and it says guarenteed to be within .001 LMAO right!

My old one is a coralife hydro and it says 1.026 This is the one I have been using for quite some time now

And the other one is a generic one not sure what brand cuz it does not have a name or manufacture on it or anything. Once the refract comes in im gonna calibrate it and then test my tank water with it. Ill post the results of all 3 vs the refractometer and will see what we get

Looked for the recomended salt ratio on the bucket but its not there. Its coralife marine salt. The one that comes with the T-shirt

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. destinationluna

oops too late already put in the order. Plus love the guys at aquacave just got a skimmer from them a few weeks ago they are great

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I would probably say the instant ocean is the most accurate, however my guess is that your salintiy is even higher than that 1.029 How long before your refract comes in? if its not until after the week end, I would take your last readings of your hydrometers up to the lfs. see if they will allow you to test one of there tanks with your hydrometers then compare the results with there readings.

The reason why I say this is because you could be at dangerously high levels for all we know at this point and may wanted it adjusted ASAP, if not only just to allow you to get your water diluted before your refracto comes in. best of luck to you.

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

oh one last thing, make sure you give the hydro a shake before you test and give a tap on the glass as you dip. make sure the needle starts down and comes up rather than starts up and comes down.

7. destinationluna

Might just do that just so I can get it down im thinking Monday - Tuesday will see. Aquacave is about 2 hours from my house so should not take it long to ship here. Maybe ill run some water by the LFS and see what he says. Right now I removed 2.5 gallons and then put in 2.5 gallons of fresh water so tom. Ill run some over there and let him check it and see what he gets and maybe adjust again.

The thing thats got me thinking is how long has it been like this. My corals and fish are doing very well. My duncan has 3 new polips comming out. Im not sure how high it is but you would think it would make my nem mad and corals. Thats just not the case here there all doing great. It kinda had me going for awhile. But this refractometer was an addition that I was gonna make here in a couple weeks anyway. Have always known I needed one just had never got around to ordering one as of yet.

8. Click Here!

9. destinationluna

Alright here is my update on the numbers for the tank

Lowered my Salinity Via Refractometer That I picked up today

Reading Before Lowering was 1.029
    After Lowering Its now 1.026

Did this over two days^^ Saved some water before I deluted yesterday!!

Refractometer Says 1.026
    Coralife Hydrometer Says Its 1.020
    Brand New Instant Ocean Hydrometer Says Its Off the charts above 1.035 << This is the one that says accurate too .001 on the box LMAO
    Generic Hydrometer Says 1.023

Lesson Learned Thanks for the help all
    Gonna look at the cal-mag numbers and see were they are and ill post them later:)

Edit
    Calcium 490
    Mag 1400
    ALK 7 Dkh

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

That looks alot better. congrats on the fix. You probably want to get that dkh up. 7 is low. try to be around 9-11

Also do you check your PH?

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Good work dude.

Perfect example of hydrometers being crap.

12. destinationluna

Yea PH was at 8
    I dosed some Reef Fusion ALK so gonna check it today just to make sure it went up.