Feeding time?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by starfish2217, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I feed mainly frozen too. Just remember to rinse it off first. I feed every other day just what they can eat in a couple of minutes. I drop a little in wait till they eat it and repeat for a couple minutes.

2. Click Here!

3. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Yeah, that does seem like a lot of food. For only two (maybe three) fish, I'd say 1/8 cube of frozen a day, maybe a pinch of dry food every few days as well.

What I do:

-Thaw out a couple of cubes of frozen in a small container of RODI water (like tuppaware).
    - Strain the food out of the water, and rinse it again (this will remove most of the phosphates that frozen is famous for.
    - Place it on a cutting board, and using a knife, start seperating the blob in half, then those blobs in half, and so on, until you have the portions you want (if you're aiming for 1/8 cube daily, then 2 cubes will yield 16 portions.
    - Place those portions in an ice cube tray, alone with a little RODI water to make it into a small ice cube.
    - Each day, just throw one in the tank, or thaw it out in some tank water. You dont have to worry about the juices, you already strained most of it out!

Another benefit of this method is that you can combine foods, like mysis and brine, and whatever else. I usually make a batch to last 2-3 weeks, and its super easy, takes 20 seconds to grab one from the freezer and throw it in the tank!

4. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

When I thaw it all out it just all breaks up into tiny little pieces... how do you end up cutting it up after rinsing it? and everything

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I have one of those mesh strainers that you find in the kitchen, and just dump the container into that. It should strain out the mysis or brine or whatever you have (provided the food isn't too fine). I then dump it back into some more RODI water and swish it around a litte more before straining it again.

I dont actually cut it up, I just use a knife because it's easy to use to split the blob of food in half.

6. starfish2217

ohh okay I'll have to get one of those. I have one but my mom would kill me if I used hers for fish food :p that sounds like a good idea tho. I will be doing that for sure thanks!

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I use one of the grease splatter screens you put over your bacon. My wife wasn't to thrilled about it, but as long as I clean it off she lets me.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A brine shrimp net works very well.
    PETCO Aquarium Net for Brine Shrimp at PETCO

Also to avoid flakes going into the overflow do not sprinkle them on the surface. Instead take a pinch under the water and shake. It will not float that way.;)

10. starfish2217

hahaha heyyyy I guess I should have thought about that... I didn't even try to put any flakes in I just assumed. Maybe I'll try that, I wonder if the angel fish will even eat them..

11. starfish2217

My mom wouldn't let me use it even if I boiled it after haha, she thinks fish food is gross. I'll buy my own :p

12. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I do live brine every once in a while. I do the floating pellets. My fishies love them.