Feeding schedual idea....

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by SwimsWithFish, Nov 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

IME flakes are bad for freshwater. Shoots my nitrates up. I switched to pellet and its better. But that's for FW...

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I didn't say anything about flakes, but you are right. They can raise your nitrates as well. I was talking about frozen foods and phosphates. Freeze dried and pellets seem to be a good way to go.

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I meant feeding mostly frozen. I worded it poorly. My apologies. lol The only problem I have with freeze dried things is they seem to have a lot less nutrients in them from the freeze drying process. Ive only fed them a couple times to fish only tanks and my fish always ate them. But they didnt seem to go into a feeding frenzy like they do when I feed the mixture I do now. Im sure using freeze dried food, but soaking it in a food soak would be a good way to go. It would pack alot of nutrients back into the food and your fish will have better color and overall health.

5. SwimsWithFish

My freshwaters love freeze dried. I think the plus to freeze dried is the low phosphates and trates.

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

What kind of freeze dried food do you feed?

7. SwimsWithFish

Bloodworms. My loach goes crazy for it!!!

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Thank you.:D

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Your fish will thrive on NLS pellets alone. Skip the brine shrimp, that's for fish that will only eat live. Feed mysis when it fits your schedule, and rinse well, like others have mentioned. PE mysis is by far the best.

11. SwimsWithFish

Awesome. Yeah I think NLS and mysis will be fine for my clowns.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's really hard to say what feeding schedule is good for you without knowing a LOT about your tank. The inhabitants (down to what filter feeders, corals and fish), the filtration, and the amount of water are all important. IMHO, you should feed a coral system as much as your filtration can handle. I feed a TON of food, but my filtration can handle it. I want as much food available to the coral and fish as possible without causing No3/po4 spikes and with it nuisance algae. So, I started with a mix of frozen foods and pellets and added more till I found what my filtration could handle. From there I realized in my case I could feed a running ton (I have a lot and high quality filtration) so I feed lots of variety (the key to healthy fish IME) and I do it often.

You can have healthy happy fish with just a regular pellet feeding (if I was to choose a single food that's what I would choose) But IME it's better to feed a variety of pellet, nori, veggies, and frozen foods (mysis,bloodworms, spirulina, rods veggie, etc) This ensures they get all the necessary vitamins that they need.

TL;dr version:
    Your feeding is determined by your filtration as much as your livestock. Many people have to feed down to there filtration. Your fish selection isn't picky so I don't think it's necessary to worry with the live brine shrimp (which need to be gut loaded to add much nutrition anyhow)

I would suggest feeding the pellets daily and change the mysis to a variety of frozen cubes and use a different one each feeding to add variety (defrost in ro/di and then pour through a net and only feed the solid foods to reduce the phosphate amount)