Feeding Saltwater Fish While on Vacation

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by texanjordan, Mar 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Im new to Saltwater, but not to fish. With freshwater when going on vacation, I would plop in a weekend feeder. What do you do for saltwater fish? How do you keep them fed if you are gone for a week? Does anyone use a automatic feeder? Some advice please.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Unless you have anthias or some other fish that absolutely needs to be fed every day, I would let them go a week w/o food. There's plenty of bugs and algae in our tank to keep our fish fed while we're gone. If we're gone for longer than 2 weeks, we have a friend stop by to feed.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Like mentioned already I'd not feed them let them feed off the stuff living in the tank.. People feed themselves and their fish to much and to often anyways .

5. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

If you have FOWLR, you can go on vacation for a few days without feeding. For reef, unless you have a fully automated monitoring system, having a friend of tank sitter is not a bad idea.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

just a trick I learned and want to share - if you get one of those pill cases, the "M T W Th F Sa Su" etc..and put pre-measured food in there it is semi-fool proof for friends who feed. The automatic ones get jammed....maybe live foods would work. Fish that feed themselves are great...

1 person likes this.
  7. slocal

slocal Doot!

brilliant!

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I went 12 days w/out feeding over christmas break with NO issues. came back and fish were fine.. a lil hungry but fine. i would be more worried about top-off water (if its not auto) and dosing (if its not auto/reactor). also think about skimmer. may want to hook up collection cup (if possible) to a gallon jug or something with a hose so it does not overflow.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Right on on both accounts. If it's just a weekend or a few days, no big deal. If longer, I get those little pill baggies and put portions of food in them and have somebody feed them. But as said above, I would worry more about evaporation unless you have an ATO.

11. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I use auto-feeders even with i'm home, but i make sure they go off when i'm around to make sure they still work and still drop the food. This way, I know the system will continue to work when I leave as long as I replenish the food. This way I NEVER have to worry about feeding.

As it was said earlier, i'd be more concerned about evaporation than feeding.