Feeding options for Maxima Clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by dragonflylures, May 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I just bought a small brown T. Maxima clam -- looks very healthy and happy and is roughly 1 - 1 1/2". I feed him zooplex by adding it into the water flow that goes right past him. Now I'm just wondering as I've read some people add up to a half cup of plankton every day or two. Where do you get this and is there a cheaper way to feed? I'm sure some of my corals would benefit as well from these feedings but would like to know what others use/cost and how they get it. A 16 oz bottle of zooplex runs about 20 bucks and they don't really seem to last that long.
    Also running PC lighting and he's towards the top -- 260 watts in a 72 but hope to upgrade to 760 watts (500 of metal Halide) by Xmas time and add more clams in the sand.

Opinions and info on what you do would be greatly appreciated as my 72 is going to go mostly to a reef tank with a blue hippo and a mandarin.

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

from what i've read the smaller clams will feed on phyto and i guess the smaller size of the phyto the better, i've been using phyto-feast it has a range of 1-15 microns, the dt's has a range of 2-20

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Zooplex is too big for your clam at that size I believe!! Clams in that size range are not a viable solution to getting a clam IMO as the food source is not small enough! Nanoplankton and yeast are the best bet for a baby clam. Unfortunately these food sources are not that easy to come by and the clam will basically just cough it out-I have since, trying small clams like the one you have, gone with clams atleast 3inches in size as their food source has turned to nutrients found throught the process of photosynthesis by the clams zooxanthellae that has since developed!
    Best of luck to you...you may get lucky!

5. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

Unfortunately I did most of my research on clam size after I bought it. I was under the impression that all clams were just mostly dependent on light. I'll have to look for some different food for the bugger but my next clams willl all be larger.
    Thanks for the info on the zooplex

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Feed live plankton such as DT's. For some good info check out Clams Direct You can ask Barry the owner what is best to feed the clams. They also have a clam forum. Your better off feeding live plankton vs dead.

Zooplex is definitely too big. The particle size is stated to be 800 microns. Your better off feeding Phytoplex which is 2-15 microns and Chromoplex which is 5-25 microns if you dont have access to DT's live phytoplankton which can be bought online.
    Hope this helps some.

I hope you have that clam sitting up off the gravel on a rock at least 1/2 way up in your tank with that kind of lighting. And I would not feed 1/2 cupful because you will pollute your tank. Check out the clamsdirect site.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007