feeding my Y-tang

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by damon, Jan 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

on the filp side caulerpa can be a natural anti-biotic in proper doses.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

also on the flip side, the toxins give the plant a spicy taste that some people like in a salad(not joking).

4. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I don't agree that it grows so fast that nothing can eat it quick enough, if I let my tang it would kill it completely. I don't know about the rest.

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

scary! my tangs absolutely love it. if i put a handful of chaeto and caulerpa in the dt at the same time, they will finish off the caulerpa before they touch the chaeto.

6. damon

damon Sea Dragon

ya, I'm not sold on it at this point. I'm not saying I know enough to say it's not true, but I don't know anyone with a tang that won't take some of my caulerpa any time I have extra.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

10. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I'm not interested in arguing the differences between how it works in the ocean and our tank if it's not applicable. I have had caulerpa in my tank for all of the 5 years I've had tanks and while it might be invasive in some peoples tank, I don't see how it would get that way unless you ignored it and you defiantly don't have a tang if it gets away from you. I keep all my macros in a different DT (yes I like macro in my DT) from my tang and anything I put in with my tang is gone very quickly. It very well may be toxic in some ways, but I've never read anything about it being bad for tangs before. What will it do to the tang? so every one that feeds it to their tang (most people) are poising their fish?

11. damon

damon Sea Dragon

But not a lot of people feed anti-freeze to their pets on a daily basis and don't have their pets die. Have you ever seen or read about any one having a problem with this in their tank? Do you have any experience with this first hand?

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would try a google search.

There are plenty herbavores(and tangs) in the mediterranean sea, it's more then likely has to do with the amount necessary to kill a fish. And yes I would say they are probably harming there fish.

Also please don't try this I've done it for years stuff. I know people that have smoked 2 packs a day for 60 years and are cancer free, it doesn't suddenly mean cigarettes don't cause cancer. Also I have never read anything about rat poison being bad for cats, doesn't mean its isn't true. ignorance doesn't negate reality.