Feeding my tank, need opinions.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by skurious, Jun 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

So the one thing that I think ive been missing for a long time is the proper food for my reef. Im a part of the GIRS (greater iowa reef society) and got in on a DIY food. So im wondering if this is pretty much gonna cover all the bases for the most part. heres what it consists of. I add tank water to a small piece of this and add aquavitro fuel and then add it to the tank.

Reef Food

5 lb Cod Fillets
    15 lb Table shrimp
    10 lb Scallops ("dry")
    4 lb Squid
    4 lb Baby Octopus
    0.5 lb Oysters (blended)
    50g Unroasted Nori
    4 lb Jumbo Krill
    40oz PE Mysis
    6 2.5oz bars Cyclops
    6 3.5 oz cube trays Brine shrimp
    6 3.5 oz cube trays Spirulina brine shrimp
    6 3.5 oz cube trays Bloodworms
    6 3.5 oz cube trays Rotifers
    6 3.5 oz cube trays Krill
    5 100g cube trays Mysis
    4 1000g flat packs Daphnia
    150g 2mm NLS Pellets
    150g 3mm NLS Pellets
    3 60ml bottle Selcon
    1 2oz bottle H20 Life GVH Seaweed Soak
    1 4oz bottle Kent Marine C
    3 1oz bottles Kent Garlic Extreme
    1 8oz bottle Kent Coral-Vite
    1 30g jar Two Little Fishies ZoPlan
    1 30g jar TLF PhytoPlan
    1 16oz bottle TLF Marine Snow
    2 28g jar Coral Frenzy
    2 1.5oz jars BRS Reef Chili
    1/4 gallon RO/DI
    Veggies (amounts and exact ingredients TBD, but peas, broccoli, spinach, etc)

I want my reef to be totally happy as far as the food, is this going to cut it? if not what am I missing?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I plan on getting in the habit of feeding this like 3 times a week and then just feeding the fish some quality flakes on the other days.

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

WOW..I would hope that would do it...looks like everything in the store ! : ) LOL..Everyone should be very happy..That's pretty cool though. good job DIY food.
    k+

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

That was kinda the reaction i was looking for. so, should the 3 times a week be good for my fish and coral?

6. lillys Grandad

its all relative to your bio load...and how are the params...it seems a bit excessive to me...I flake food(OSI) a pinch a day...and solids and cyclopeeze once a week..
    my signature shows what I have going on..Its pretty full for a 90.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

paramaters are good, I will do a full test tomorrow since I just tranfered tanks. Im at work, otherwise i would test right now. Last test I did about a month ago tested at 15 nitrates, everything else 0.

I do run a skimmer rated for (160 gallons according to WM) or ( 300 gallons according to Skimz). The tank is 40 gallons. I only feed this stuff once a week right now, but want to up it if my tank will do better.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

the 15 nitrates is my best guess. Its a api test kit and i have trouble reading it.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm a very big fan of lots of high quality foods in as long as you can export it. I feed NLS pellets 4 times daily and a broad mix that is mainly rods food veggie blend every night.

In nature our animals feed on foods that are less nutritious than what we feed, but they do it regularly throughout the day everyday. My goal is to keep some food available throughout the day and then give the highly nutritious to ensure they are getting everything they need in terms of vitamins and stuff.

My opinion is to feed as much as you can without causing phosphate problems. The key is to shorten the time period between feedings and feed less in each sitting.

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Thats kind of what i was thinking, i will just have to see how my tank handles it. I have a reactor that i can run GFO in if i do foul the water.

I think i will just slowly increase from the once a week and see how that goes.

12. lillys Grandad