Feeding LPS Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by lightningfront, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

So I am a LPS lover and have a mainly LPS dominated tank. I have only ever squirted some mysis shrimp on my LPS uo until today when a friend said they were feeding their LPS krill. I decide to give it a try and fed an entire piece of krill to my duncan coral and it swallowed the thing whole I was amazed it was able to take that large of a piece of food.

Question is how often should I be feeding them (I know I don't need to I have plenty strong enough lights for LPS) but I want them to grow like crazy.

Also, should you feed each individual polyp or is feeding one going to disburse the nutrition to the others? not really sure how that works as they are all individuals right cause you can break one off and it will grow separatly without the others.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I feed all my LPS pieces of krill! Whether or not you feed each individual polyp or not depends on which type of coral it is. Duncans do not share nutrition between each other and need to be fed individually. Candy canes and acans will share their nutrition with each other as long as they are attached to each other.I feed all my LPS krill a couple times a week. They absolutely love it. I will soak my krill in selcon to help it get HUFA's. I also feed my tank Coral Freenzy a couple times a week which they will grab also!I only use pieces of krill versus whole krill cause my fish will steal it right from the coral. I then add several pieces of krill onto the various polyps

4. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

Interesting. What about branching hammer, frogspawn, and torch corals. I'm guessing they do not share nutrition as the polyps are separated and there is only skeleton inbetween them?

I also have a pretty bad off wall hammer i picked up cheap as a rescue mission as it only had about 1/3 of the fleshy part the other 2/3 of skeleton were bare. With a wall hammer where is the mouth, it doesn't seem to have the normal mouth surrounded by tentacles like the branching type? I'm not sure where to feed it, I have been just squirting mysis at the tentacles.