Feeding frozen gel foods

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Triggerfish, Jul 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Hi, I am very new to gel foods, I simply slice the cube into pieces and drop them in the water. What are better methods on feeding this type of food? because the way I feed it it seems like a lot of food goes to waste.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I'm not sure if those "gel" foods is the same as the frozen cubes, but in the event that they are, I use 2 methods.
    1. I hold one cube at a time and let it desolve in my hands.
    2. I place the cubes in a little kids medicine measuring cup, pour some tank water and wait for it to dissolve. I then get a small kids medicine dropper and "drop" some food at a time.

Luna

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I cut mine with a fork and divide the chunks between a few tanks but I also do it in small doses so the fish can get most of it. some does go to waste though but that is what the hermits are for.

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I put mine in a cup.. dip out some water from the tank... let it dissolve a bit.. mix it around by shaking the cup in a circle... then slowly pour it in front of my powerhead

6. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

You must be talking about those Ocean Nutrition frozen cubes with gel binders. Those things don't dissolve in the tank after thawing - they pretty much stay solid and feel kind of rubbery. I've chopped them up with a knife, but had better luck with an old coffee grinder. Just don't make coffee right after grinding up the cubes! :sick:;D

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

How bout grinding a little into the water with a pumice stone like people use for feet!!! Might begin to smell a little, oh right, they probably would anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I just thaw them and smash them with my fingers in that tank.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I use a hair clip and rip little chunks out of it then dip in tank.

11. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

I actually rinse mine in a fine mesh strainer and take a pinch in my fingers and my fish eat it from my fingers, the pieces that float away get eaten by the sixline wrasse and the other critters, I do mush it in my fingers, too.

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

gel foods add a lot of nutrients to the tank. is it necessary in your setup? if not ditch them...