Feeding During Vacation

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Jross, Apr 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jross

Jross Plankton

Hi All,

I'm going to be leaving on a trip for about two weeks and need some advice on keeping my tank inhabitants fed.

I have a pair of Clown Fish and a single Blood Shrimp. I have thought about auto-feeders but that will only help with the Clown Fish as the shrimp won't swim up to collect the flakes.

Right now I feed them all twice a day and pretty much hand-feed the Blood Shrimp when I find him. I don't think I'll be able to have someone to come by on a daily basis to keep them fed twice a day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Put pellets in the feeder, the shrimp will eat if he is hungry.
    I am on a trans pacific cruise at the Moment and won't be home for another 4 weeks, my guys are all being fed on a feeder, with the exception of a buddy going in every 4 days to do my skimmer cup and push 2 frozen blocks in.

4. Jross

Jross Plankton

Would the pellets float to the top of the tank though? Right now I've been feeding him Frozen Brine shrimp blocks and if he lets go it just floats away. We do have lots of amphipods in the tank and although the shrimp should be able to eat them, I've never seen so not sure if they are also keeping him satisfied.

Any recommendations on feeds, first time away like this so I'm worried about it breaking down.

Thanks for the help.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

They have sinking pellets. I use new life spectrum.

6. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

+1, New Life Spectrum pellets sink very well.

7. Jross

Jross Plankton

Thank you both for the pellet brand.

What about dispenser wise?

I currently feed flakes to the clown fish so can I put a pellet plus flakes in a dispenser to give out during the same feeding or do I need two dispensers ?

8. Click Here!

9. serega

serega Astrea Snail

I bin using 2 feed dispensers for 15 days out/ 1 with pellets 1 with flakes, everything still life Omega One brand, all fish likes it include tangs.

10. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I honestly have used 3 Walmart dispensers for feeding my fish and turtles without any problems. They feed twice a day and you can adjust the scoop for how much food to give per feeding. Just prepare it on a paper towel a day or so beforehand to make sure it's not giving too much/little.

11. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I used new life spectrum in an auto feeder when I went on vacation a while ago. The pellets float for a second or so and then they sink. Everything including my pistol shrimp eat the pellets.
    +1 to new life.

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I fed my old tank with New Life Spectrum pellets in an Eheim autofeeder once per day into a "feeding tube" (just a PVC pipe) to ensure the pellets sank. The shrimp will eat don't worry about it, plus 2 weeks isn't that long.