feeding clam came to life.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nc208082, Sep 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

so i was at lfs trying to find alternatives to feed my porcupine puffer other than freeze dried krill, so the person told me to try a clam. I went to the grocery store and purchased a raw clam. So i place it in the tank and come back 15 minutes later and the clam is moving. its opening and closing, its still alive.

Is this normal? Is this whats supposed to happen and the puffers eat it live?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The puffer will eat it alive. All the clams from the store are still alive. If they weren't, you would get food poisoning.

They also make good additions to your fuge as filter feeders.

4. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

How big is the clam in comparison to the puffer? Your puffer shouldve grabbed the clam b4 it touched the substrate if it was hungry enough, you can aid by splitting the clam in half

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

+1 omw to local organic grocery store to pick up some filter feeders

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I used to get the clams from the grocery store to feed my octopus, 8 of 10 were still alive. The octopus would just eat them when she got hungry, the rest of the time the clams just filtered the water. When they are closed tightly there is a good chance they are still alive.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Just make sure they're not freshwater clams. That's the only ones I can get at the local supermarket around my area. (OK for feeding, but won't live long).