Feeding Brain Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by kcbrad, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well...I would say I squirted quite a few. I'm very short, and it's very hard for me to reach down to the sand bed....lol I don't have very good control over my squirting when it's that low in the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

... Ive had mine for several months now, Really only feed the Trachy, not the Wellso... the wellso has been with me since new year and eats nothing I give it and keeps getting bigger regardless...

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks, I'll try to get some of that food. I've heard great things about it, but no place around here sells it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

use a 2liter plastic bottle cut in half or tupperware with a small hole to place over brain for a couple hours. squirt food into top opening. remove once time is up. the fish will eat whatever is still leftover.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Oh that's a very clever idea! Thank you!

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

No more Wellso, as it turns out. Not even radiata, if you want to get technical. It's all under one species, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. It made reading up about these before I got them kinda annoying.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

So I tried to feed again last night. All his tentacles were out so I very slowly put some mysis near/on his tentacles. Nothing! I'm starting to get a little frustrated!

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I feed my brain 5 times a week about 5ml worth of mysis each time. I figure that if he didn't want it he wouldn't have his tentacles out let alone eat it. My brain seems very healthy and has doubled in size since late january (4" to 8").

FYI, its a trachy

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

no problem.. the trick is to barely squirt the food becuase if you do it to hard the food will blow everywhere and not land on the sweet spot. keep trying. it may take a week before you'll get it. maybe try a bigger piece of krill shrimp. once bait/food is on coral, let it have a few hours before giving up.

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Have you tried turning off ALL of the flow in the tank and letting the mysis sit on the coral for 20-30 minutes?

1 person likes this.