Feeding an Orange Spot Filefish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Andrew Android, Jul 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Andrew Android

Andrew Android Astrea Snail

I introduced an Orange Spot Filefish (Scientific Name: Oxymonacanthus longirostris) two days ago to my 2.5yr old 110g FOWLR. I believe it might be male, as it has a horn on its head.

Other inhabitatants: baby barred jack, blue damsel, blue-green chromis, longnose hawkfish, stocky anthias, flame angel, tomini tang, foxface rabbitfish, twinspot wrasse (juv), red coris wrasse (teen), blue linkia star and blood shrimp.

I feed them a varied diet once or twice a day. My selection includes pc mysis, 50/50 (brine and bloodworms), formula two, and the occasional angel formula which has sponges in it. These are all frozen foods, with exception to the green seaweed we present on a clip.

The pet store employees told me that the food I offer would suffice, but I don't find their word that credible. They did inform me of its need for polyps, but I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and try my food. It has been two days now, and it hasn't eaten. It seems fine, but I don't think it will be for long if it doesn't eat.

I'm not sure if there is already food out there available for me to purchase that will meet its needs-- I will look the next time I go to the store which should be tomorrow.

If anyone has any helpful advice for me, it would be appreciated, as I think this is a very interesting looking fish, and would hate to lose it =)

2. Click Here!

3. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

O andrew i forgot to tell you yesterday if he does'nt eat try putting the food in the little holes of the branch looking coral i read about that somewhere because they eat sps corals

4. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora