feeding a dragonet

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Sep 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

ok we all prob know what to feed these buggers but ive been surfing the net and found some other ways. im going to make a sump with a ref to keep my pods along with my farm i have with them. while surfing i found out peppershimp babies and brine shrimp can also feed them. is this true?
    and what of blackworm? everything i find about them is for freshwater.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Heres a good link for info on them. It is for Mandarins specifically but applies to all dragonets.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-month/mandarin-dragonette-fotm-may-08-a-47991.html
    It is usually not easy to get these fish to eat prepared foods especially when mixed with other more aggresive feeders. ORA Mandarins are raised on Ovamar so if you have a small tank (less then 90 gallons) this is the way to go. You also don't want to mix this fish with any others that feed on pods such as most wrasses.8) I also don't recommend this fish in anything smaller then a 70 gallon aquarium with lots of LR.Brine shrimp have no nutritional value and should not be considered a good food source for them.

4. shusi

shusi Plankton

Sweet thx for that info Vinny. That FOTM article about the Mandarin was very informative!

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Brine isn't a very good substitute unless you gut-load them first. This means that you have them eat something nutritious such as selcon and immediately feed to the dragonet.

I had a psychadelic mandarin in a 29g which is usually a no-go but I had more than enough LR and pods. I also got him to eat cyclopeeze which he absolutely thrived on.