feedback for diy led system

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by dbaumer71, Apr 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at building a led system that will consist of 2 heat sinks containing 55 leds per heat sinks. Each one will have dual dimmers, as well as dual power buttons. My ? is what is the best layout as per color of leds for the best results. I have read many posts on the subject and have become confused as to which leds to use in which way. All feedback will be highly appreciated. Attached is a sheet that I came up with as to led placement. Please pick this apart and be honest. I want to learn what it takes to do this right the first time.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

what sze tank? what do you want as far as SPS/LPS clams etc? what brand?

and also consider dimmable drivers and a controller so you can do sunrise ans sunset functions!

4. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Sorry about that. Long day at work. I have a 75 gallon deep blue. Using the cree 3w leds. Yes we have the dimmable drivers and controller on order. My biggest dilemma is the placement of the leds I guess. I did a simple layout and was just wondering if this will work to the best advantage of leds. We plan on having mainly sps. Montis are the main portion of my corals. We do also have some hammer corals, 1 leather toadstool, and a few ricordia. These units will also be inside a 7 " canopy so I didn't plan on using any optics.

Thanks for the reply

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

WAY TOO MUCH LIGHT! for a 75g deep i'm thinking 72 ish is more than enough as far as Cree 3W go. On each heat sink I'd do something like 12 whites( 8 CW and 4 NW) 20 blues(12 RB and 8 blue) and then a string of violet and colors( 5 violets and, 2 reds, 2 cyans, and 2 something). Do that times 2. Also consider bridgelux for the colors, as they run at the same max current which is nice.

6. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Thanks, would you put the bulbs in any kind of order in each sink?

7. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend any order of placement per sink?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

theres diff theories out there on that, clusters v random for instance. personally I'd just stagger them as you can once you do the build! Make sure you do a dry run of wires before you start gluing or soldering to make sure everything fits right. FYI, I'd keep most colors(violet, red,green, cyan etc in the middle) WITH NO OPTICS. Sorry forgot that, but reds, cyan green orange etc prob shouldn't have optics

10. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Thank you again for the feedback. You have helped tremendously. I'll keep posting my progress as it goes. Again THANKS

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

no worries, IMO though, really look at reefbreeders.com, unless you really want a DIY, which is fun but can be costly. Make sure you ask a TOn of questions before final purchase, because if you do it right, you wont have to mess with lights for a LONG time. Enjoy learning and READ up, its really easier than we make it out to be.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

2:1: .5: .5: .5
    NW RB HV OCW TV
    Or
    2:1: .75: .5: .25
    NW RB HV OCW TV
    Or
    Evil Clusters, there's a large thread on them on NR
    NW is neutral white 4-5k
    RB is royal blue 450-460nm or so
    HV is hyper violet 430nm
    TV is true violet 405-420nm
    OCW is a Tristar with a cyan 495 I think, cool blue 470-480 or so, and deep red 660-680nm