"Feed" pump to replace an overflow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by n1sm0r, Jun 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. n1sm0r

n1sm0r Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm in the process of setting up my new tank and thought, why spend so much money on an overflow when I have 2 identical Powerhead 302's lying around. Could I just elevate my sump so that it's near same level as my display tank and run a return pump AND feed pump? I figure if the elevation is similar, the potential energy changes of water will be minimal. Also, having identical powerheads would make it easy to match the flow rate. In case the return pump fails, I can position the feed pump higher up in the aquarium so that it doesn't empty out a significant amount of water.

Any thoughts on this? I've seen a couple hang-on-back wet/dry filters setup to use a feed pump rather than an overflow.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

no it won't work. All pumps are different, even if they are the same pump. You are looking at disaster, I believe, if you try this.

4. n1sm0r

Once the flow rates are matched, I don't see how it can create a problem.
    If the return pump fails, the feed pump will only have so much water it can pump into the sump until the water level in the DT drops below the pump intake. The sump will be flood tested prior

5. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

better put some sort of a float switch on there also so it kills your pumps when it drops below a certain level, or you will burn them up. Also might want to think about the syphon that will be created. Also think about if the pumps in the tank fail, the sump is going to continue emptying into the DT, make sure there isnt enough to overflow the DT. But other then those, it could work. Is it a good idea, I think not, but to each there own.

6. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm with the majority,could lead to a disaster, if feed pump stops then sump drains into dt. I guess it could work with the right set-up but I would spend my time worrying if I had a flood or not. Overflows can be diy or bought pretty cheap, mine is rated at 1200gph and I think I gave 40 something dollars for it off ebay and works great and uses 0 electricity compared to a "feed" pump.

7. n1sm0r

True. I've seen my local LFS run H.O.B. sumps using a feed pump/return pump combo and they told me it never caused them any problems. I think I'll give it a shot. I'll flood test it of course.

If all goes well, I'll update this thread in a couple months. If disaster, well, I'll let you guys know.

;)

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

just out of curiosity, why bother even asking for advice if you are gonna just go out on your own anyway. Good luck with this one but I'm gonna say that this is going to be way more time and effort than just doing an overflow and being done with it. Not to mention more power, more heat from the pump, and the risk of failure and inhabitants being stress due to lack of turnover.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would also highly advise against this. Just asking for trouble down the road. Get yourself an Eshopps overflow, do it the right and safe way, and be done with it.

11. n1sm0r

I'm all for listening to different perspectives to better make a decision. In this case, there wasn't anybody who chimed in with personal experience of this method failing, let alone anyone who has tried it. I have seen this method work at the LFS, and was merely curious to see what 3Reefers had to say about it. I understand this hobby has been around for ages, and there is always a certain way of doing things, but why not try something new? There's always a possibility of failure, but where there's risk, there's reward.

Besides, the absolute worst case scenario is one of the pumps will die or cut out, so either my DT will have slightly more water, or my sump will have slightly more water, and I'll run a powerhead dry. Considering I have a whole load of powerheads just sitting around, I don't see any harm in losing one. I use redundant filtration (i.e. Hang on back, cannister, AND sump) so in case of failure, the tank will be fine until I notice the problem.

12. bama

bama Humpback Whale

no one chimed in with personal experience because no one has any with this cracked out method.. I know it will not work, unless there is some other random step you are failing to mention.. If youre so convinced it will work, I say go for it (but watch it the whole time) and let us know how it went..