Feather duster

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My feather duster lost it's plume 3 days after putting it in the tank. I found comfort in seeing that it was still alive and moving inside its tube. A few days after that I noticed that my emerald crab was munching on the furthest back part of its tube, we scared the crab off (not sure if it was a good thing or not). Last night I go for a drink of water after lights out, and the worm was hanging outside of the tube, almost completely. In the morning, the tube had fallen over and was on it's side in the direction the worm was hanging the night before. I wasn't able to see the actual worm this morning. Question: Dead, moving, sick, what?

Tankmates include: Emerald crab, yellow tail damsel, blue green chromis, and 2 turbo snails.

Thanks for any info or advice lended.

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Alright, I saw the worm on inside the tube, so I turned the tube upright. It looked good for a few days, then I caught him at night coming out of his tube so I figured he was just eating from the sand or something. The following morning (today) he was outside, his entire body outside of the tube. He crawled about 2 inches from the tube. Now, he is about 8 inches away from his tube curled up and he has something new. A ring of green gunk around his "neck", if you will. He is curled up and looks pale. Help. Please. Thanks before hand for any advice.

4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

This is how he he looked the night of 10-7-03 under a red light. The following morning he was completely outside of his tube.

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

This is what he looks like now. I know the picture kinda sucks, but please if you know anything please help.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

David I wish I could be more help. My only experience with dusters that big was ten years ago when I worked at a store. :-/

I do recall that once they stayed out of their tube, I was usually tossing them. :-[

Some members were talking about this very problem not more than two weeks ago. Do a search and you will find it.

I'll try to dig up something elsewhere as well.

[smiley=worried.gif]

7. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Yep I lost him. I wish I would've been able to save him he was one the first creatures in my tank. That's probably why I lost him. I was still cycling my tank. It's funny how you get attached to these little guys. Thanks for your help.

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

it happens i lost my first feather duster (hawaiin) but my 2nd one is still going strong. maby you will have better luck with your next one also

10. eweldon

eweldon Plankton

Sorry for your lost. Feather dusters are not the best for a newly cycling tank. Being filter feeders they rely heavily on Marine Snow, Dissolved organic carbons, and various zooplanktons and phytoplantons. You don't have a lot of this time of food in the tank right away. Once the emerald crab attacked it was probably all over because he lost his primary food gathering mechanism. I've seen them come back given enough food, enough time, and no additional predation. In my experience crabs and FD bad. FD and shrimp good.

Good luck with your tank and keep us posted.

E