Feather Duster Placement

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by VPBassist, Oct 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I purchased a feather duster yesterday and I was wondering were I should place it in my tank. Right now its sitting on the sand like it was at the LFS but I read somewhere They should not be on the sand. Can I use frag glue and attach it to some rock or is that unsafe for the worm? Any advice would be very helpful. Here's what the tank looks like so you have an idea of what I'm working with.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I put mine on the sand at the base of the rock, He moved a little and secured himself into the rock. My LFS said they will move to where they like. Mine did. So I wouldnt glue it personally.

4. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

Thanks. I wasn't aware that they move.

5. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It didn't much, but when I had to change my tanks he def had gone from in the sand to having his base (no idea if that's the right term, haha) deep into the rock

6. chasethis1

chasethis1 Astrea Snail

I would do the same, I have a few that have a calcified case or shell they are in a moderate flow area to get adequate nutrition. There are others that are in softer "tubes" they should not be glued, just lay them in a good flow area on the sand with some rubble around them and they will fix themselves to something and you can find them a more acceptable place later.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm trying to find yours in the pic. If it's a large feather duster than it would be best put in the sand. For mine, I was told to bury the end of the body & leave about 6" out of the sand. It buried itself further and more completely after a bit.

Def don't glue, & low to moderate flow for them.

Here's a pic of mine, it's in the middle there:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• FD.jpg
      FD.jpg
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

I've always just buried the base of the tube in the sand.