Feather duster or acro polyp?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by justonwo, Sep 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Just observing one of my new acro frags tonight (a smooth skin) and saw what looked just like a feather duster worm popping in and out of a bump on the frag. Every few seconds it would pop out with its fan and then quick as a flash go back inside. Although it was the only one of its kind on the frag, it blended in perfectly with the rest of the coral. Same color, just kind of an unusual bump. I'm not aware of any polyp that behaves like this but who knows? Is it just a very well camouflaged duster encrusted on the frag?

I would post a picture but I couldn't get a good one. I figure just a description of the behavior would be enough. Do acros ever have little feather duster like polyps that poke in and out of the coral?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It's a barnacle. Very common on maricultured (or frags of maricultured) and wild acros.

Swisswiss likes this.
  4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Interesting. Thanks for the help, Va. I put a little drop of super glue over it so it doesn't interfere with the frag.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

There's no need to kill it but to each their own.

6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

As a newbie, I make the assumption that anything I don't recognize is an immediate and deadly threat to everything in my tank. :)

But now I know! Hey, at least I haven't removed any of those freaky looking, but supposedly beneficial, bristle worms from my tank.