Favia sp. weird activity

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Zissou, Mar 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

hello everyone,
    i have a question about my favia brain coral. when i first got it about a year ago it was bright purple/pink and flourescent green. way pretty, and it always had its sweeper tentacles out at night which i honored with small brine. at about 6 months it declined with no tentacle extension and a fade in color. i rescently (last 2 months) moved it up in the tank and started feeding zooplankton/ little phyto also here and there. the color is back and beautiful with the tissue very robust. but the sweepers no longer come out, is this normal for a captive favia sp? the coral appears healthy but i am still curious about the sweeper tentacles.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Are you looking in the tank when the lights are out?

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ya, same ?

J

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Same sort of thing is happening with my brain...it is very healthy but...the tentacles do not come out like they used to. when i first got it every time i feed the tank the tentacles came out

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

ya mine would be totally out during feeding also bruce. and yes i am looking at many a dark hours, observations never cease. so i am not sure, whats the deal with brain coral?