Favia coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by tank1970, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KhensuRa

KhensuRa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Question on putting a favia in lower light if is not looking good? Do you it on a shaded area? Or just lower in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I would not put it in the shade - maybe lower it to the sand? they do need light.
    Were do you have it now? under what type of light?

4. KhensuRa

BioCube 29 stock PC light... I would say it is in the middle now, maybe a little higher...

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If your favia is bleaching or has tissue recession I would put it on the sand bed in an area not directly under the lighting, off to the side if you can and give it a few weeks. Takes along time to see the shift in coloration and recover from photo-shock if that is what has occurred.

6. tank1970

Yes I would agree with corailline - did you just get it? or was it in the tank for awhile?

With mine I had it only for one week and just noticed some bleaching (or stress) The last two nights has come out big time and doing well - the white is still there and I am sure it will be for some time. But the main key is to have it stop. Does yours come out to feed at night? give it some mysis or brine shrimp - that seems to help.

7. KhensuRa

I have had it for a month about (small frag three heads). When I first got it, the feeder tentacles where out all day and night for about week or two and have since then failed to come out till last night. I think I will move it to a more shaded area and see what happens.

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

I had the same issue - I lowered it to the bottom of the tank and spot fed it with brine/mysis shrimp mixed with phyto. two days didn't come out on the third day it did. check it out :)
    closedbrain2s.jpg