Favia coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by tank1970, Feb 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Just curious on my green favia coral.
    The coral was extending the sweepers every night since I put him in (10 days ago) the last two nights no sweepers. Are they suppose to come out every night? or will they have nights they don't come out?
    All others seem to be doing great and coming out during the day.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My favia extend sweepers only periodically, and moreso (sometimes all night and all day) when I've fragged them. Otherwise, some nights they're out, some nights they're not, and occasionally they'll extend during the day.

1 person likes this.
  4. tank1970

Oh wow thanks - so I should not be to worried :) funny because my open brain was open almost all day yesterday - but closed this morning.
    The torch was normal and finger leather has been normal

So they only open when hungry or need to I guess. Do you have any idea the longest your favia been closed?

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

+1. I would be more concerned if the favia wasn't eating at all. I try to get them to eat right away. The more days that pass without eating, the more concerned I get and start to look at other factors.

6. barbianj

Also, IME, it's easier to feed the LPS early in the morning. At night, just after the lights go out, they usually expel waste, and it's best to wait awhile to feed them after that, for obvious reasons. Since it's a new coral, find out when it's receptive, get it feeding, then change it to meet your schedule.

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've had my Dragon Soul in my tank for 1 month+ now, and have never seen it extend sweepers. I hasn't grown, nor shrunk since I've had it. I do spot feed at night, just don't know if it's getting any.

It has also changed coloration to a more marbled look on the purple outer rims.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

That means it's in too much light, it's starting to bleach. I had the same problem with mine. It has to be out of direct light. It took a while to recover, but is a very deep color now, and would eat every night if I let it. That's the difference that I was getting at, a healthy coral should be very eager to eat. That's the first thing that changes.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

tank1970

Your avatar disturbs me, that is all I have to say.::)

11. barbianj

Not to get too far OT, but I should have noticed that something was up when the Favia stopped eating. It slowly bleached to this point:

[​IMG]

Moved it out of the light, and it started eating about a month later. Looks like this at night.

[​IMG]

Now, it looks like this. Still out of the light, fast feeding response.

[​IMG]

12. tank1970

Barbianj - wow so low light? or no light? I have moved it to the sand to the front of the tank - So less light? I just took a picture and now notice a little bleaching.