fastest way to cure ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by rwood93, Dec 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No it has no medicinal purposes in that regard.

What it might very likely do is provide enough of an edge to see that fish through a bout of ich.

If a fish is eating and symptomatic with marine ich, providing supplements seems like a common sense approach. It's sure not going to hurt and most likely not going to give the average hobbyist a false sense of security like raising the water temp or only dropping the SG to the say 1.018.

Dropping the SG is a preventive method, once the fish is symptomatic the SG needs to go down to 1.009 as appropriate. Raising the temp does nothing but prehaps speed up the time the parasite is visual on the fish, it might fall off faster but still present and an already stressed fish may not be so lucky in a week or weeks time when the parasite will again infect the tissue.

1 person likes this.
  4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

OK, ty. That is what I thought. I went to the LFS today and picked up some seachem Cupramine and a Salifert Copper test kit. Hopefully this will work as it should. ;D

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Make sure to treat with copper in a quarantine tank, not in the main tank.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

These clowns are in their very own tank anyways, but thanks for the reminder. ;D

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

It is not the clowns that may get damaged, it is any inverts, corals, and live rock from the copper solution.
    fastest way to cure ich. 16 weeks and an empty tank my friend. Thats for your dt tank.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I realize that. Like I said, this clown is not in my DT. It is in it's very own BC 14 that has nothing in it but a pair of clowns. Thanks for the concern though.

By the way, fish can be harmed by copper as well. That is why you have to test the copper levels in you water as well even with a HT/QT. :confused:

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

When I treated the tank with the Seachem product, I had to remove the mechanical filtration. This is a BC14, and I am still using the stock filtration which includes the carbon in the filter cartridge. I am thinking of getting some filter floss to throw in there in the mean time. Does this sounds alright?

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Sticksmith don't be bringing up stuff i have to add to my new thread!lol! i would like to see a pic of this tank though!

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sorry about that, just thought about it. I wouldn't want to make more work for ya lol. ;D I guess it is time to go the LFS and get some filter floss lol. 8)

1 person likes this.