Fast droping Nitrate levels killing fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by bmxer193, Oct 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

I have a small 5 gal tank, i use to have 4 mollies 2 died in the first week and a half the other 2 lived for a few more months up until this morning when i found 1 dead on the bottom of the tank. In the last few days both fish have been eating less and laying on the bottom most of the time ( i think to one that is still alive might have ich but im not 100% sure).

Since the last week and a half i have been working on lowering the nitrate level in about 10 days it went from 140 to about 90 could this major drop killed the fish??

2. Click Here!

3. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

Hi,
    I'm assuming this is a freshwater tank but never-the-less I have a feeling you didn't let it cycle properly and the high nitrate killed the fish. More than likely you still had high nitrite and amonia....my guess without knowing other water parameters.

4. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

ya it is a frestwater tank and when i got the fish i didnt know anything about cycling or water chemistry i thought u filled the tank with water ,put to the fish in, fed them ,and cleaned the filter...Was i wrong but i know alot more about everything now

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

nitrates in a freshwater are more lethal then saltwater. You want to get them down before replacing any fish. You also want to test for nitrite and ammonia because these are very lethal as well.

Do you do water changes, clean out the filter media, and vacuum the gravel?
    You want to do water changes monthly and clean out the media every two weeks.

Do some research on GreenX, I used this for nitrate problems in my cichlid tank but do some reading on it first because I haven't used it in a long time.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nitrates are not really a killer of live stock!!! As stated above nitrites and ammonia are probably the culprits!!!!
    Sorry to haer about your loss!
    Unfortunately, livebearers are not that hardy IMO!

7. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

I do about a 40% water change every week, clean the filter evry 2-4weeks but i dont vacuum the gravel. the nitrite is at .5 right now
    and i plan on geting the tank well under control before adding new fish

Thanks for your help

8. Click Here!

9. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

i just put in some "ammonia clear" tablets made by jungle

10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

How are you cleaning the filters? The filters should be cleaned in the tank water that you remove during a water change. If you clean the filters with fresh tap water you are killing all of the beneficial bacteria that has built up on the filter media.

11. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

when i say i clean the filter i mean i replace the screen inside the filter i have an aqua-tech 5-15 gallon power filter

12. bmxer193

bmxer193 Astrea Snail

and i rinse the Bio-fiber cartridge as need also
    when i said screen above i ment cartridge