"Fantastic Discovery"!!! - In Seattle!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Dec 17, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Having an hour or so to kill today while waiting for ferry to return me home after spending day in Seattle taking some classes with Microsoft, I decided to visit the Seattle Aquarium, which I have not done in about 25 years. (actually was feeling a bit "depressed" about the "Danish Disaster" I read about in other "thread" just before leaving class - thought of visit to ours, which I had to pass on way to ferry terminal, might be uplifting) - anyway...

Could go on and on about exhibits...but not point of this post.

Few other visitors, so got to talking to one of the very bored attendants in the "jewel tank" coral/reef section of the facility. While admiring the marvelous displays, I, of course, mentioned my attempts so far of doing same in my living room.

He then asked me if I knew about their "Water Sales" program for home aquarists - ?? -

They "sell" filtered (~750 microns) UV treated natural seawater for 5 cents a gallon for use in home tanks!! - same water they use in their beautiful displays.

I said SIGN ME UP! - he then took me up to the main office and gave me sort of a credit card that activates pump and hose system outside the building that lets me get all the water I can carry away whenever I want it directly from their main treatment facility. --- They then send me "bill" for amount taken.

What a great service! - - I am done "mixing" my last saltwater -

May be a "service" offered by other large aquariums - if you have one locally or within any reasonable driving distance give them a call.

Will head over this weekend with 4 new plastic garbage cans to get first supply.

"Jakets" - bring empty buckets on next trip to Seattle! - seeing Aquarium itself worth coming down for - water a "bonus". How is one in Vancouver? --- will be up there with family 1/2 Jan. --- will visit if worth it.

Rgds,

OmarD

"jewel tank" in coral/reef section ​
    [​IMG]

Those clams nearly 2 feet across - that "toadstool" is easily a yard across - must be good water! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Now I'm really jealous. I will have to make the trip down to Seattle some time soon to check It out.

J

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh man that's great Omar!

You are psyched!! THe real deal! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

5. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I may have to move!

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wow now that is great. Wonder why more peopple up there didn't know about that?

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

hey, thats a great idea. ima call the seaquarium to see if they sell some of their water. thanx for da story

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Can you see that I am green with envy, huh can ya?

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Just one more reason to move up here to PNW..

Here is info & link to Seattle, Aq. "Water Sales" - maybe to show your local Aquarium how to earn a few extra bucks...(of course we are not far from primary source out here).

http://www.seattleaquarium.org/about/sales/

Got a salt water tank? Got a bucket?
    The Seattle Aquarium now offers UVA-disinfected, filtered sea water for sale that can save you money!

A $10 sign-up fee gets you a computer card for the self-service valve. Then you pay just $0.05/gallon. (If you've ever made your salt water artificially, you know it can cost up to $0.35/gallon.)

After you've signed up, come at your convenience. Swipe your card through the reader to open the valve, swipe it again to shut the valve off. You'll be billed with easy monthly statements for the water you use.

For information and to start saving money, call now: 206.386.4300

http://www.seattleaquarium.org/about/sales/

:) - OmarD (I have a couple of "big buckets" - (4) 55 gal garbage cans.)

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Way cool! Way too far from the ocean here!

12. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Does anyone know if you can get that filtered water at Newport Aquarium in Cincinnati... Thats close enought to me but I cant find an email adress or any thing for them...