Urgent Extreme overdose calcium

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Danhodl, Sep 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hard to nail down exact list of ingredients on this product - various information about there

cut and pasted from the "about the product" information from web site

This liquid has a unique dual method approach to coralline algae acceleration:
    1. Ionic calcium--immediately raises dissolved calcium levels in your aquarium water.
    2. Ten micron aragonite--targets the live rock surface, where it dissolves in situ (in place), delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium and carbonate right where it is needed.
    It also replenishes idoine, an essential element for coralline algae tissues that quickly becomes depleted in closed systems.
    Easy to use and contains Super Sea Calcium, a natural calicum derived from pristine tropical oceans

research also realised following information

From Randy Holmes Farley
    the so called 10 micron argonite will not dissolve in typical salt water PHs
    As such it cannot do as it advertises on the label
    the fact that many people do experience an increase of coraline as a result of using this product, may or may not be related to the fact that this undissolved argonite provides a beneficial site for coraline spores to encrust

Randy also went on to explain that the undissolved argonite in the system can skew Alk test results as it will measure as part of the total carbonates in the system although it is in a form that is of no significant use

so you need to wait until your tank is clear/ not cloudy and re do the testing , if the water is cloudy the undissolved argonite particles will dissolve in the test tube because with typical titration methods of testing the PH is lowered in the sample at the point reagent is added and the fine argonite will dissolve and show up in the test

Steve

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

More research done

I have not found an exact replica of your situation, I have found one which seems to me to be a much worse situation

Iodine overdose in tank - Reef Central Online Community

in the above situation - approx 3/4 of a bottle of an iodine based reef dip was dropped into a reef tank

Corals seemed to fair OK, but he did lose 3 fish - these were lost very quickly in the proceedings , and as your accident involves a product with a probable much lower concentration of Iodine,( I do not know because I cannot find any % information on the product) I do not believe the iodine will be a significant issue during this accident

but good call from Packleader, IMO certainly worth doing some research

Steve

4. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

EVERYTHINGS OK. I tested today and its looking good. The alk is now at 10, and calcium 400 so thats not so bad, iodine .04, cant measure mag right now. After a 20% water change I also added a fuge I've been working on to help dilute some of that purple up. There may have not been much spilt as I had thought.

I tossed the bottle since I don't even really use it, seems too mysterious, now that this happened I remember coming to that same conclusion back in 09 when I first came across it, should have wrote that down. pic of new fuge! Still working on its light fixture...

5. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

6. steve wright

Good news Danhodl
    and thanks for updating

the Alk and Ca are OK and 0.02 - 0.04 is a around NSW levels according to the man below

The

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good news glad to hear everything made it out ok.

8. Click Here!

9. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Glad everything's okay... Also Cute fuge