Explain this growth

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Mar 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If they are hitting the front glass then the water will head down to the sand and quite likely circulate back up the rocks and hit the coral from underneath. Your coral will do fine but you may end with the front ende heading down instead of up as you were hoping.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I am confident that's at least part of the reason. What would be a better configuration?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would try pointing each of them more toward the opposite corner from the one it is in. You should still get good get good random flow.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I will probably need to move them more towards the center and away from the corners on the back wall then, right? I don't think they will angle in anymore then they are now.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

In that case then yes. I would not aim them directly at each other but parallel to each other if you put them on the sides. Put one 4" from the front of the tank and the other 4" from the back on the other side, or something similat. This configuration will give a good random flow by creating a rolling motion in the water.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

And point them straight ahead? i.e. pointed directly at the opposite wall?

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have one on the back wall and one on the side wall pointing in. I get pretty good random flow but if I were going to do it like John is talking about, then yes, pointing straight ahead. Maybe point both a little downward but not much. Watch your corals. If the tentacles move in random directions, you have achieved it.

10. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

It probably is a species of Montipora that is suppose to grow down. Just because it plates doesn't mean it has to grow upward.

Are we assuming it is Montipora capricornis?

11. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I'd leave it as long as it don't grow onto anything growth of coral is good. I like it.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. I'll do a little messing around tomorrow.