Expiration on homemade fish food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nanoreefer555, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Last night I made up a concoction of fish food because I was sick of cutting tiny wedges off of a frozen cube. The process sucks and is wasteful--I would come back to freezer burned cubes a few days later.

I took about 4 oz of tank water and added:
    1 cube Marine Cuisine Carnivore
    1 cube Frozen Mysis
    1 Cube Emerald Entree
    1 very small chunk of frozen cyclopes with rotifers
    5 drops of Boyd Enterprises Vita Chem Marine

I am feeding a coral beauty angel, yellow watchman goby, humbug dascyllis, and a cross' damsel. This will also be the only food my corals will get from me as I rarely point-feed.

I hope this mix will last 1-2 weeks (refridgerated, of course)--I feed every other day at most. Do you guys think it will keep that long? In retrospect, I probably should have just used RODI or clean salt water. Next time I will.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I dont know how long refridge food lasts....can you place the solution in a small baggie and make it as flat as possible and freeze it? Then you can come and break a small piece of it off, defrost it and have the remainder in the freezer.

I make my own food now as I have too many tanks going and different needs..so I use a ziplock and flatten food out like you get at fish stores and freeze it. Then when I need it I break a small piece off and reseal it.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

5. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Thanks, cool site. That guy has made some funky food!:eek: I have mine in the 'fridge in a little plastic bottle with a squirt cap on it. I am going for the liquid idea so I can just take it out and feed--5 secs or so. How lazy!

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Some chunks landed on my Fungia today. I've never seen it open it's mouth that wide. It's like it can shift it's jellylike internal parts to the mouth area. Expand the mouth way bigger than normal.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would also like to know How long it lasts or maybe if there was a tray to make smaller chunks.

8. Click Here!

9. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

JMO- but since it is food, maybe not stuff we would eat, but nonetheless, I would treat it like human food. 5-7 days in the fridge. I have no idea if fish could get food poisoning, but if it's rotten, maybe they won't eat it, either?