Experiences w/ Maxima's Under T5's?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by McSoappy, Aug 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. McSoappy

McSoappy Astrea Snail

Hello all,

Just wanted to put a feeler out there for any of you who've got (or had) Maxima clams under T5 lighting. *Did they seem to like it? *Keep them up high? *Just general notes for me.

Thanks all!

David

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I keep mine up high, pretty much on top of the rocks, about 6" below the water line, grows like crazy and has kept its color no problem.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I have two Maxima's on the sandbed under 4x54w of T5 in my 55g reef. Both are doing great, showing nice growth & always opened up nicely with good color. My fixture is a TEK Elite and I use 3 ATI bulbs and 1 KZ & I dose ALK/CA/MG bi-weekly.

Here's one of them with my shrooms:

Attached Files:

• f.JPG
      f.JPG
      File size:
      171.4 KB
      Views:
  5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

My green maxima has done very well under T5's so far. I've only had it maybe 7 weeks or so but seems very happy. 1/3 way up under 2Blue+, Aquablue Special, Fiji Purple.

[​IMG]

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Here is the one from my tank. I also have a Derasa on the sand bed. I am looking to get more, I really like the colors and different patterns on the clams mantle. I keep this one up high in the tank. When I first got it I had pc's and it still did really good under those but again it was about 3" from the water surface and about 7" from the light. This photo is about 1 year old though. This clam is much larger now.

Attached Files:

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a crocea currently under 6x54w T5s. It's relatively high up and doing pretty well. I use to have it under 4x54w T5s. It grew nicely, but it definitely colored up better under the 6x54w T5s.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good to know on the bulb q difference.

10. McSoappy

McSoappy Astrea Snail

Wow. I think this certainly dispells the rumor of "halide only"! I really look forward to trying this. A few things that still concern me are:

My tanks age (5 weeks)
    I will only have 4 24 watt t5's. I'm hoping this is all relative due to the fact that my tank is only 37 gallons.

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Is your tank 5 weeks since the end of the cycle, or is it 5 weeks since it was set up? Either way I personally would wait before getting a clam so as to gain more experience in keeping water params in check. especially with a tank as small as yours. thats just my $.02 worth.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

T5HO intensity is affected by length. The longer the more intense. Definitely keep the clam near the top of the rocks. I agree on working on your husbandry until you get it down, clams love stability.