Everything is slowly dying… What could be wrong???

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by eddie2OOO, Jun 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Distilled water should have a neutral pH of around 7.0 or lower. Your probe is bad.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Do you have a local fish store you could have test your water for you?
    Most here would be glad to run a few test if you tell them what's going on.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I just tested pH on distilled water. Came up with 7.0 out of the jug. I have salt mixed with distilled for 2 days. It is 8.0. Salifert.

5. eddie2OOO

eddie2OOO Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I know that pH of distilled water should be 7 or lower, that is why i was shocked to see it over 9. I also thought that my probe was bad, so i double checked myself with an API test, it showed the highest (8.8). Two hours later, pH was at 7.7, still higher then expected. Either way, i am not convinced of its quality and so i am not mixing in my salt yet, i want to check it with TDS tester once i get home. Last thing i want is to make matters worse. My guess is their process of distilling water wasnt just by evaporation, it had to be chemically processed afterwords.

Per your suggestion, i am no longer chasing numbers but am still aware of them, my pH of my tank was 8.6 in the morning, and 8.8 before lights go out. Ammonia is at 0.25 and nitrites and nitrates at at 0. So far i have performed 2 WCs of 20% each in a 2 day span.

Any thoughts regarding RO/DI units, and if i should get a new one or a used one?

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Are you using API for testing?

7. eddie2OOO

Like i said, API test and Milwaukee SMS122 pH meter.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have the 6 stage BRS Chloramine Plus. Check with your local water authority. More and more cities are adding ammonia to the chorine to treat water. It's not as easily removed. If your water company uses Chloramine I would look into the Chloramine removing units.

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I don't blame you for the caution on the distilled. Sounds like your best bet is getting your ro/di up to speed. However, I've had serious inaccuracies with API. If salifert is available I'd use that.

Alfie uk likes this.
  12. eddie2OOO

Thank you all for patience, I've got the TDS meter and it showed that my filtered water was at 42... Given that is not an appropriate level I just purchased an RO/DI Unit that should arrive by June 26th. I am impatiently waiting for it...