Everything is slowly dying… What could be wrong???

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by eddie2OOO, Jun 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddie2OOO

eddie2OOO Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am looking into getting an RO/DI unit but I truly do not think that the quality of the water I am getting is not good. I've been using it for the last 3 years. And as I said I know several reefers with stunning aquariums and are using this unit.

I think at this time the most suitable solution is to perform small water changes for a week or so using the water I will first run all chemical tests on.

I do not use conditioners but if you suggest I ought to use them, I will.

I typically leave the water being mixed with a power head overnight before adding it to the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just my $0.02, you could get distilled water at Walmart for a buck a gallon until you are sure about water. That would eliminate one variable.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

A TDS meter is a critical piece of equipment in my opinion. Without one you are just guessing at your water quality. They aren't that expensive either.

Billme and Mr. Bill like this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Not trying to be ignorant, but 3 years is nothing. It could take that long or even longer for trace amounts of copper or other contaminants to reach toxic levels through continuous addition by way of water changes. Furthermore, unless those other reefers are using your water, that point is invalid, as well.

Exactly... that's all I'm saying. Get the meter, test your water. It's the only way to remove water quality issues from the equation. :)

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In the big picture the TDS monitor is more important than the pH probe. Way too much time and effort is wasted on chasing pH numbers in the reefing hobby, get the big 3 in line. Only test for pH if your corals look stressed.

Billme, Av8Bluewater and Mr. Bill like this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Absolutely.

FWIW, pH is what we tested (and buffered if necessary) back in the FO days before we had test kits for the actual components. We know now that an imbalance of O2/CO2 can affect pH almost as much as cal and alk levels. Why we continue to chase and stress over such a flawed value is a mystery to me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Billme likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. eddie2OOO

Billme likes this.
  10. eddie2OOO

I can certainly do that. I already made 10 gallons of saltwater but will buy the remaining 15 gallons of distilled water.

Billme likes this.
  11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hanna TDS probes can be had at Walmart, or Homedepot for less than a pH monitor.

Camkha1234, Mr. Bill and Billme like this.
  12. eddie2OOO

I just bought distilled water and decided to measure its ph, it turned out to be 9.6! I couldn't believe it. This is using a probe and API tester. I don't think I'll be using it in my tank. I should get my TDS tester tomorrow...

Any suggestion regarding buying a new vs. used RO/DI unit? I could buy a new 3 stage RO/DI for around $130
    http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-0569...&ie=UTF8&qid=1402889374&sr=1-1&keywords=ro di
    or an equivalent used (for unknown number of years) for $75, will probably have to replace 3 filters for another $30. Do you think I should just get a new one?