Every coral in my aquarium is dying including xenia, brown jelly

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hokiereefgirl, Apr 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hokiereefgirl

hokiereefgirl Plankton

Thank you so much everybody!!

After a long day of running to the fish store in the town over, doing more water tests there and at home, getting new supplies, inspecting everything, I found out what happened!

The heater, which is in my sump had a crack along the end, and metal/plastic sludge (and probably stray voltage) was leaking into my tank!!

I removed the heater, did a 30 gallon water change, put another filter on there with carbon, dosed the tank with sustain iodine and now I'm watching and waiting.

No more heads have died on the frogspawn. Only 4/75 heads have died. The rest don't look great, but they're hanging on. 95% of them have retained their zooanthellae. I haven't seen the brown jelly make a comeback yet...

I think the ammonia spike was from ALL the xenia dying. I am going to watch the parameters very closely. I have some gorgeous before pics and I will take some after pics tonight.

Thank you all for your advice, I'm a little less upset now. I'm going to do another water change tomorrow.

I am at Clemson University doing a PhD in Marine Immunology actually.. if any of the heads develop brown jelly I may necropsy them and do some imaging, we have some fantastic microscopes :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yay! so glad to hear that you found the problem!! I'm sending you some karma that things come back!

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I feel the relief all the way over here.

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Glad you found the issue.

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Marine Immunology? The Marines don't have all their immunizations?

Ha, Ha, I know I'm not funny, but had to do it.

I too and glad you found the culprit. It seems to be a fairly recurrent theme it seems.

Keep posting, we'd love to see pics, etc. We also have a member picture thread somewhere. OFK (Mindy) looks just like Jennifer Anniston ;-).

8. Click Here!

9. QuackAddict

QuackAddict Astrea Snail

AMEN! Haha I agree with you on that one!

Glad you found the problem, huge relief!! ;D

10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Awesome! Glad you found the issue.

Keep doing water changes for a while. Spread them out and try not to do very large changes... 30% max.

And definitely get us some pictures. We tend to be picture hounds around here.

11. Rob&Gab

Rob&Gab Astrea Snail

awesome work, you stayed strong and didnt panic like most people would. Cant wait to see some new pictures.

12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I am glad you found the problem. If you only follow one person's advice on this forum, make sure it is Corailline's, she knows her stuff. And Welcome to 3Reef!