Ever regret buying a fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JNuckolls, May 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JNuckolls

JNuckolls Astrea Snail

This is just a general question. I am having second thought about buying a fish and was wondering if anyone else on here had buyer's regret as well.

My husband and I bought a Koran Angel about three years ago. The guy at the LFS said that we would have no problems keeping it in our reef tank and that it was super easy to care for. Given, we should have done our research on the fish before buying it, but we had always gotten good advice from this store before.

Well, we put it our 90 gallon reef tank and within two weeks, all our corals were gone. Everything. We also noticed that most of our hermits were gone as well. We bought another tank just for this fish, and something ended up stressing it, so it developed HLLE.

We have now dumped several hundred dollars into equipment and food to get this fish healthy and nothing is working, even though some of the stuff is "guaranteed to reverse HLLE within three to four months."

I am really starting to regret buying this fish in the first place. Anyone else out there have the same feelings?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

the exact reason why i do not keep angels in any of my tanks ;)
    but this actually pretty common as angels get larger

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Most definitely regretted some purchases in the fish and invert department.

Are you running carbon in the tank with the angel? If so I would either cut back drastically on the amount or remove it all together.

You obviously have been a good owner to this fish. It's hard to draw the line or make the decision to change course, after you have invested so much money and attention to one fish. All I can say is that when I was faced with similar situations finally letting go of the fish and it's problems was a huge load off my shoulders. Responsible reef keepers often will go beyond the call of duty.

Good luck.

5. JNuckolls

JNuckolls Astrea Snail

Corailline, we did have carbon in the filter, but that was one of the many, many changes that we made to our system. The Angel is absolutely beautiful, it's in the changing stage right now, and I would love to see it healed, but my husband and I are both unemployed and funds are getting low. Hopefully we will see some changes soon, anything to give me a little hope for this fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I regret every hermit crab I have in my tank, and although my emerald crabs are entertaining, I regret having those as well. I just recently added a couple of tangs and they are stressing me out within hours of them being in the tank. their size is not large but larger than everything else in the tank, and making all my other fish nervous. I love tangs, but right now I am regretting it. So yes, I can totally relate.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I wouldn't call it full blown regret, but my hawkfish is frustrating. I knew from go they are a 50/50 behaving fish. Well mine fell into the 50 % turd bracket. He gets bossy with the other fish, doesnt nip or hurt them that I have seen just is bossy. He takes out 1-2 hermits a month despite being well fed, shrimp are a total no no with him as well. To the postiives its been an interesting fish and has given alot of entertainment value and fun watching him. To do it all again and buy one....... that would be a hard sale.

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

my lunar wrasse. killed a new cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse, hermits, snails and nipped at my clam. the only hermits that are still alive are the ones that wait until dark and he's sleeping before they come out of the rockwork to clean.

10. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I totally regretted buying the jewel damsel I bought. Nipped at SPS and my clams and was always fighting with my clown.