Ever just want to give it all up?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ashevillian, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Just about everything i do in life is a money pit.....cars, trucks, wives, houses etc.....my tank is no different. Its just a matter of deciding which pit i want to put my money in!! Right now, its the tank, and I'm happy with that decision. Ups and downs with the tank mirror life some times, it s just a matter of if you come out with a positive or negative at the end of the equation. Nice to see you got a lot of response to this post!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I went through the same thing. Shut my 90g down. But then 6 months later I started building my current 65g

Key to making it work for me is ato, oversized skimmer and a controller.
    Makes everything a lot easier and not so time consuming when its on autopilot.

Just remember, if you get out it might be ok for a little bit, but give it 6 months and you will get the bug again and start brainstorming lol

4. reddy

reddy Astrea Snail

I would say if your not enjoying the hobby like you used to, time to stop.As one of the members already said it is a labor of love....my wife didnt really appreciate it at first either she calls me a dork for just standing in front of the tank for extended periods of time but Im ok with that. I started with FW and really wasnt that into it. It was more like eh thats my fresh water tank and those are ciclids but who cares? and then i started reefing and the hobby just got really more enjoyable! I will say it is a little more expensive then i thought but I save up and get the things i want. Even if my tank never looks like the beautiful frag tanks i see at the high end fish stores it still friggin fasinates me!! It is litteraly the center peice of my house even with the bare minimum in it Ive only got 7 items worth looking at plus some clowns and a cleanup crew BUT even now i cant wait to go home and stare at that damn tank lol!!::) Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Definitely love this hobby and do not ever want to get out if I don't have to... I'm really enjoying watching my tank grow and thrive which it has been lately. Looking into the JBJ Auto Top Off so that it'll be much more hands free and I can leave town for a week without freaking out

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I've done 2 things in the last month that have let a huge weight off my shoulders.

1. Bought an RODI unit, so I don't have to :drive:drive, fill, drive, unload, drive, fill, drive, unload.

2. Bought an eshopps float valve (kind of a toilet bowl floater :toilet:) that fills my sump with the rise and fall of the return chamber automatically.

It's not the war I care so much about, but the little battles I win from time to time. ;D

7. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

+1!

Last June, I went to NY for 2 weeks and had a buddy come by to add water to my tank after the first weekend. I thought the water would be good for the 2nd week until I got back....I was terribly wrong. When I got home, so much water from the DT had evaporated that one of my power heads was spraying water out of my tank. The inlet was still submerged but the spout is pointed upwards for surface movement so there was salt crusted everywhere =[

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

What RODI did you pick up? I've looked at a few types lately and found a pretty nice 5-stage for a decent price