Euro-Reef ES5-2

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Wrassman, Jun 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]Well, two days ago, I finally got my skimmer. And I have to tell you, it was certainly worth the wait!! This skimmer is nothing like it looks in its picture!!

[​IMG]

http://www.euro-reef.com/index.html

Euro-Reef's Website gives the Technical Specs as follows:

•Reactions chamber: 5" diameter x 10" tall
    •Collection cup: 5" diameter x 4" tall
    •Overal height: 20"
    •Easy union disconnect w/ zero height clearance required for cup removal
    •Pump: SEDRA KSP3500 @ 30 Watts 110v
    •Footprint: 9" x 9"
    •Rated for marine aquaria 40 gallons +

It LOOKS a LOT bigger than this. I know that is a strange thing to say, but that was one of the first things I noticed when I took it out of the box.

The second thing I noticed was the quality of the plastic. This isn't K-Mart plastic, boys and girls. This is NASA plastic. It is smooth, heavy, and the parts fit together like a hand in a glove.

And third, this sucker SKIMS!! Fifteen minutes after taking it out of the box, it was skimming my tank. The manual says you have to give it time to "settle down." It surely didn't take long -- it was skimming big time in NO time. Now, it did take me a few hours to get it really "dialed in," but now it is sucking skimmate every bit as nasty as that which I used to get out of my AquaMedic.

I'll give you another report next week, after it has a chance to run for a while. But, first impression is, this thing ROCKS!!![/glow]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Wrassman,

Great to hear that you got your new toy and that it meets or exceeds all of your expectations! Great photo of the new baby and what a glowing report on it's maiden voyage! Can't wait for future reports!

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Nice machine man. I have been reading a lot about skimmer less systems and the dangers of over skimming. I have to admit I have stopped reading about it because it seem to be hog wash. But I'm interested to hear Everyones thoughts on "too much skimming"
    Now that you have the ulltimate skimming machine. do you feel there is such a thing as over skimming?

Jason

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

It all depends on your bio-load and how your tank is set up. I suppose you could over skim, but its not a black and white issue.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Oh no, I removing to much skimmate, shut the thing down, I need some gunk for the tank.

You can't over skim. That line of bs has been floating down the stream for years. What is it going to do, make your water to clean? Thats a bad thing? We can't ever match the quality of water on most reefs, so how can we overskim?