Euphyllia Issues (UPDATE 6/26)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by PghSteeler, Jun 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would say too much flow and too little nutrients. I had a pretty nice garden for months an then I started losing them one by one. I added two mp10s and turned my mp40s WAY down. Honestly try to find a spot they barely move in and see if they recover.

Euphylia tear pretty easy and are highly susceptible to bacteria infections, one of the reasons they respond well to iodine/iodide dips when damaged. I would squirt some fish food into them when you feed, throw them in the lowest flow area, and see how it goes.

2. Click Here!

3. MondoBongo

MondoBongo Plankton

have you tried dipping the colonies in a specific coral dip (iodine based) in case it is some form of biological problem?

i tend to have the most problems with my euphyllia when i am not feeding enough, having alk issues, or giving them too much flow. but it sounds like you have those 3 bases well covered, so perhaps a dip is order? that's usually the first thing i do when chemistry and mechanics have all been verified.

failing that removal and with a continued recession sometimes a long stay in a quarantine tank to recover is just what the doctor ordered.

on a side note, what part of pittsburgh are you from? i'm in the south hills area and there are quite a few more reefers around than i would have suspected.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Mine like really low flow, so they are barely moving in the current. It is tuff finding the right spot to keep them happy in a biocube 29 with an mp10 flow wise.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Could be, they only the wall frogspawn has a strong feeding response the others dont seem to care to much. I do dose the tank with reef chili once or twice a week and target with RODS pacific plankton once or twice a week. Thats in addition to broadcast feeding RODs original once or twice a week and NLS pellets for the fish on days without RODs.

6. PghSteeler

That very well could be it as the problems seem to have started since upgrading my powerheads and doubling my lighting. I have moved them at times to shaded low flow areas though where they continue to decline so Im not too much. Maybe I should go back to a dual bulb fixture and ditch the quad bulb?

7. PghSteeler

I have a seachem dip that I believe has iodide maybe I should try dipping them to see how t he respond? Couldnt hurt much at this point

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

I live in south hills as well. Just joined the new club that meets at Saltwater Sancturary but was unabel to attend the first meeting. Hoping to get some nice frag swaps going at some point since they never had them at PMASI

10. MondoBongo

MondoBongo Plankton

If it is "Reef dip coral disinfectant" then yes it is iodine based.

I have been using that for a while with good results. Sometimes a 20 minute bath will help turn things around if the affliction happens to be invert, parasite, etc... Related. Worth a try at any rate.

11. PghSteeler

Well after more of the same I decided to do a dip with the WC today. I did a double dose as is allowed per the instructions and did a 20min dip even though the instructiosn said 10-15min. Not sure how well it will work since they were all closed up before I was able to dip them but time will tell.

On an interesting side note, on 2 or 3 of the 5 colonies there was a clear white slime coating growing on the old dead outer skeleton. Almost seemed like a fungun or sponge of some sort that I was able to remove without much difficulty prior to dipping. Not sure if it had anything to do with the decline of the corals but maybe?? It seems like every euphyllia the tissue has receded pretty drastically up the walls of the skeleton torwards the head not sure why but Im assuming its has to do with their decline.