Eshopps PF300 vs PF800

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by tallreefguy, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tallreefguy

tallreefguy Astrea Snail

What is the actual difference between the PF300 and PF 800? (Not talking what the specs say, but physical difference)

I am running a PF300 with 2 U-tubes on my 100g Breeder tank with a Via Aqua VA-3300 return pump. It seems like it is having trouble keeping up with the flow rate.

Should I be using an Overflow rated for higher flow?

2. Click Here!

3. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Variance in flow rates. Hints the rating by gallon. Larger/Wider box with a larger U-Tube. Also a larger bulkhead.

Keeping up with the flow rate of the pump? What are you using?

I use a PF800 on a 92.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

that pump is to much for your existing over flow. either get a bigger gph overflow or put a valve inline with your return hose.. you'll need to limit it back.. I have a via aqua 1800 (470gph) for a 300 gph overflow box. with headloss of 4' its pushing around 300gph going into the tank.

5. tallreefguy

tallreefguy Astrea Snail

Oh, ok, larger U-Tube. It didn't say anywhere. I think the bulkheads are the same size - I didn't see that as being a choke point in the overflow. I was curious because I was running 2 U-Tubes.
    I just didn't trust the manuf. to say it has more GPH. I wanted to know why.
    Alright, for the time being, I'll put a valve inline to restrict the flow and get a bigger Overflow box.

Anyone have any recommendations?? I like the Eshopps ones I have now.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

also if you run a foam round filter inside overflow box, that will restrict flow when they get dirty. I used to have to clean that every 2 days, or else. I finally took it off. but I recently lost a fish as it jump over the box and got stuck in my drip tray.. ;(

7. tallreefguy

tallreefguy Astrea Snail

Oh, that's not good! Sorry to hear about your fish.

No, I don't run a foam thing. I dug up some custom down pipe that's adjustable so it makes less noise. It definitally can handle the 2 U-pipes I run right now.

8. Click Here!

9. kbtrade

kbtrade Plankton

Night-Rida, how do you like the via aqua 1800? I am looking to add a 20 gallon sump to my 45 gallon tank. I need to use an eshopps overflow as I am limited on clearance behind my tank. I am trying to match up the best pump for the eshopps PF-300. I have a headloss of 4' I was also looking at the rio plus pumps...thanks!

where did you find the specs for the via aqua 1800? I am having a hard time finding info on that model, is it new?

10. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

i have a rio 2100 hundred pumping about 275 gph after 4.5' of head through the dt my PF300, and it is a perfect flowing cycle.

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I use a Mag 3 for my return and love it (I have the Eshopps PF-300 overflow box).

12. tallreefguy

tallreefguy Astrea Snail

I switched pumps from the VA-3300 to a Rio+ 1700. Works very well now - my sump isn't being drained!