Equipment????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by IceDragon, Apr 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

okay i looked at the links ... and i am wondering what people think about the RIO 2500 vs. the MagDrive 700. my LFS carries the Magdrive for 52 after tax and i figgure the rio will cost about the same with ship ... so money aside wish is the better product

2. Click Here!

3. dbates

dbates Plankton

hey, dan here. I was looking for an opinion on lighting. I am looking at the Current USA orbit 48" power compact light, 4X65 with 4 moon lites, and i wanted to know what some of you thought about it as far as quality, popularity, stats, etc... any opinions are appreciated.

Dan

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

IceDragon. I would personaly stay away from Rio Pumps. They have a long history of the seals breaking and shorting out. That means stiking your hand in the tank and you get zapped. Now I also understand they have modified there pumps in the last year. The MAG is a great pump. I have 3 and they are very quiet and have never let me down.

What's up with this thread? If you have Question that don't relate to Ice Dragons Questions Please feel free to start a new Thread. Lets try to answer Ice's questions here and we can answer your questions in your thread. Thanks Everyone. It just get's really confusing.
    Jason

5. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

thanks for the info .... heading out to get the mag now :)

6. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

HI , I am not replyng to nay specific post . My concern today is the use of metal on the pure water side of the R.O. membrane .
    Metal fittings on the pure water side of any R.O. D.I. system will contribute to the TDS . Pure water is agressive and eats the fitting away .
    Why am I concerned about this . Well recently a new check valve has been introduced and sold as superior . Why is it superior ? Well because it has a metal housing .
    The check portion of the system is very improtant and is usually made of stainless steel parts . Lots of work went into making the metal content as small as possible . Now along comes the entirely wrong thing and is being touted as better . Please limit the amount of metal that comes into contact with your pure water . Avoid any check valve encased in metal .

Walter The H2O Guru

7. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

[quote author=IceDragon link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=15#17 date=04/22/04 at 17:43:02]i'm lost .... i hate to sound life a newbie ... but i am so forgive me ... what is a R.O D.I and how does that replace the 700GPH in sump pump to ship water from my refugium to my tank???
    TIA[/quote]
    ;D

Sorry about that I took you to be setrting up an new system . I just wanted to steer you in the right directions when it comes to your water treatment .

There are many fine vendors of Reef equipment . There are some newbies that have good intentions but are still selling the wrong stuff for the wrong reasons .

Walter The H2O Guru

8. Click Here!

9. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

no worries walter

thanks for the input but i am still getting my drygoods together, but you can be sure there will be post about water soon :)

just an update ... i am putting the final touches on the stand, as i am skinning it in matchstick bamboo :D

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=dbates link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=15#21 date=04/22/04 at 20:03:35]hey, dan here. I was looking for an opinion on lighting. I am looking at the Current USA orbit 48" power compact light, 4X65 with 4 moon lites, and i wanted to know what some of you thought about it as far as quality, popularity, stats, etc... any opinions are appreciated.

Dan[/quote]

Dan please copy this and start a new thread asking these questions.
    I personally would not use PC lights. start the thread so we can talk about it.

11. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

hey the stand and fuge are done ... here is a pic

oh bth total cost inchuding the matchstick bamboo skinning and sandstone textured moss green paint was 65USD for the stand :D

Attached Files:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's got to be the first bamboo aquarium setup I've seen! 8)

Sump looks good, just a little worried about overflow from the tank when the power goes out - those baffles are high not leaving much extra room - is there enough left over room for overflow from the main tank?