Equipment????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by IceDragon, Apr 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

the final baffle of my homemade fuge is setting now .... 24 hours befor i can test it though

her is the materials list i used incase anyone was wondering

29G All-Glass Aquarium   45 USD
    2 sheets 11.75X11X.25 plate glass 5.95 USD each
    2 sheets 11.75X7X.25 plate glass 5.30 USD each
    3 tubes DAP aquarium silicone 3 USD Each

6 Hours of work with a build cost of 76.50 USD befor tax

tools used hobby knife, scissors, 2 11.5 inch clamps, and an empty wisper 40 filter box

it was a great learn experience

oh yeah and by the way watching silicone dry has provided me with a lotta time to read the forums (kinda getting more nervious about this project now) [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

i plan to put a pic up as soon as i clean up the joints a litte ( yeah its not for display but i made it and it is damn well going to look good)

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Good luck with that....
    Karma to you

I see you found the SIG.... looks good.

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

finallydone with my fuge and it is water tight :)
    i decided to build my own stand outa some 2X4 from the garage and a 4X4X12 post from HomeDepot.

its not pretty but it is strong. and after doing thisproject with no powertools at all i have the utmost respect for carpenters

i will get some picks up after i prime and paint (if it ever stops raining around here :( )

on an upnote payday is tomorrow and i will prolly pick um my sump pump this check and hopefully save the rest for my main tank (2 weeks i hope)

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Post some pics of progress...

Let us join in on fun... :D - what you are doing now is one of the greatest pleasures of the hobby...we all enjoy watching others do also ...

OmarD
    [​IMG]

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If you buy the sump pump online it will be half or more the cost of what the LFS will sell them for.

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

LFS is only charging 49 for a 700GPH and sales tax is 6% in KY ... any one got a line on a 700+ submersible pump (quite preferabbly) for less than 52 USD? is so please post a link

8. Click Here!

9. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

Hi
    If you are lloking at buying an R.O. D.I. please take a moment to read this . You do not want a 100 gpd membrnane .
    The rejection of the 100 gpd FilmTec membrane is only 90 -92 %
    If your water is 300 p.p.m. your R.O. will make water that is between 24 - 40 p.p.m. tds
    If you use any of trhe FilmTec membranes smaller than the 100 the rejection goes up . The smaller membranes reject upto 98 % .
    SO on the same water your R.O. will make 9-12 p.p.m. tds water .

Why is this important ? D.I. life .The more tds the water has the shorter the D.I. life .
    From this example you can see that the D.I on a 100 gpd system will only last 1/3 to 1/2 as long .
    Or you operating cost will be triple to double of what it could be .
    There is one vendor out there saying the a 100 gpd membrane will last 25 - 30 % longer than a 75 gpd .
    Way stupid, by this reasioning a 6,000 gallon membrane would last forever . All membranes last about the same lenght of time . Foiuling not size determine the life of the membrane .

The H2O Guru Walter
    Walter

10. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

i'm lost .... i hate to sound life a newbie ... but i am so forgive me ... what is a R.O D.I and how does that replace the 700GPH in sump pump to ship water from my refugium to my tank???
    TIA

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=the_h2o_guru link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=15#16 date=04/22/04 at 17:12:35] Hi
    If you are lloking at buying an R.O. D.I. please take a moment to read this . You do not want a 100 gpd membrnane .
    The rejection of the 100 gpd FilmTec membrane is only 90 -92 %
    If your water is 300 p.p.m. your R.O. will make water that is between  24 - 40 p.p.m. tds
    If you use any of trhe FilmTec membranes smaller than the 100 the rejection goes up . The smaller membranes reject upto 98 % .
    SO on the same water your R.O. will make 9-12 p.p.m. tds water .

Why is this important  ? D.I. life  .The more tds the water has the shorter the D.I. life .
    From this example you can see that the D.I on a 100 gpd system will only last 1/3 to 1/2  as long .
     Or you operating cost will be triple to double of what it could be .
    There is one vendor out there saying the a 100 gpd membrane will last 25 - 30 % longer than a 75 gpd .
    Way stupid, by this reasioning a 6,000 gallon membrane would last forever . All membranes last about the same lenght of time . Foiuling not size determine the life of the membrane .

The H2O Guru Walter
    Walter[/quote]

Think walter was wanting a different thread. I will copy and paste over to the correct thread.