Equipment????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by IceDragon, Apr 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

ordered my mag7 return pump, SWCD, and 2 u-tubes from captive reef today :)

also i am working on installing my OF kit from AGA .... the written instructions suck and it needs PVC glue for only 2 tiny places, but does not come with it :(

the kit is neet though, and it comes pre-drilled to stop the back siphon

if you can look at the pic you can put it together in under 3min (getting it possitioned in the tank is another story)

still waiting on my skimmer though (it is taking forever)

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Darin Loves us 3reefers..... :D

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=90#93 date=05/24/04 at 14:22:51]I have a Mag-12 which is 1200 GPH with 2 feet head  on my 75 AGA with the mega flow overflow and it works perfectly. I wouldn't think a 2 foot head could slow a pump down over half of it's rating. Not sure about this one. I say go with the Mag-7 just in case.[/quote]

Theres more to rating a pump then just head pressure. For one, 90's count as head pressure.

Only 2' head? So from where the water enters the pump, to the top of your tank is only 2'? How shallow is your sump?

600 gph seems a wee bit low, sounds like they're just low balling the amount for some reason, maybe to protect themselves legally.

5. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Newbie;num=1082074566;start=90#102 date=05/28/04 at 17:06:07]
    600 gph seems a wee bit low, sounds like they're just low balling the amount for some reason, maybe to protect themselves legally.[/quote]

yeah i thought 600 sounded a little low but i figured there is no need to push the envelop on my first tank ... and the savings is pretty nice too

my tank should have a combined flow of about 1270GPH ( 420 return + 550 SWCD + 300 aquaball ) so i think that will creat some prety good circulation and turn-over

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Maybe 3 feet Gresham, but that still shouldn't drop 1200 GPH down to 600 GPH. I measured the head exactly this time.

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

added my won 350W titanium heater today and finished plumming the overflow

also i won a RO/DI filfer on ebay ... 80.50 shipped ( walter i am saving up for one of yours but they are a little out of my budget atm)

i figure by buying this i will save at least 40 USD when mixing my inital water alone (53$ RO water from LFS + 4 10G containers @ 10 USD/each + 3G gas @1.86USD)

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Sounds like your slowly getting it together Icedragon. Keep us posted.

10. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

added my fuge light today

corallife 2-9W 6700K PC

i cot the FW version because i do not need the atenics to light my fuge ... and it was 5$ cheaper

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

give me about 10 min to get it installed and i will post some new photos :)