Equipment Room, or not?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grubbsj, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I believe that it is time to change the lighting schedule for the refugium...

The cheto which was added last week, is starting to turn white on the "top" edges of the ball. Because the back of the DT, adjoining the equipment room is open, and the refugium is on the ground behind the DT, I suspect that too much light is getting into the refugium during the day, so that running the refugium light at night is providing no "rest" cycle.

Tonight, I'll turn off the refugium light and leave it off until noon on Saturday when I'll start the schedule again, but run from noon to midnight, which will leave at least 8 hours of dark...

I'll take some pics tonight and post...

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That micro algae probably won't live because there is nothing in the tank for it to feed off of. Should add that stuff about 6 to 9 months into running the tank. I never even started my skimmer until I hit month 6. Got to give the eco system time to evolve.

5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

....you said that a while ago....I'm still hoping your not right....:-[....

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

:confused: I'm sure why you're hoping that? It's a good thing there isn't anything to feed it? Maybe I'm missing something...

chaeto won't grow in my tank either. I tried a while back - but with 0 nitrates, I just can't feed it (and don't care to either!). (HOB refugium in my case and I tried floating it in a screen type bag once too)

Anyway, loving this thread.

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Well, the cheto is beginning to look better with the new light cycle in play.

Couple of observations:

1. The Bullet 3 level has been going down and requires daily adjustment (closing) of the outlet valve... So, I shut it down and pulled the water supply and air valve a part. There I discovered a chunk of "goo" (looked like a mix of mud and hair) blocking much of the air valve. Silly me, did not open the outlet valve after re-assembling the supply side...it took only about 90 seconds for the skimmer to start overflowing...

2. The ORP levels are set to control between 360 and 320. For the first week, the ozone generator cycled several times each day...now, it has been off for 3 days... So, I flushed the probe with DI water, and raised the set point to 400 to 360... I'll continue monitoring....

Chemistry has been solid...over the long weekend, I think that I'll get the Ca Reactor plumbed in and at least circulating water....but I suspect that I would not hurt to fill it and let it get through its startup and begin raising the CA levels...

8. Click Here!

9. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

....Ca Reactor waiting, just asking to be placed on-line...

[​IMG]

PS, current Ca level 360...

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

The PM Waste collector came in at the same time as the Aragocrete order. I installed the waste collector to replace the 5g bucket standing in it's place, and rigged the vent with carbon as required since the ozone is on....

And that was a very good thing! As the skimmer went nuts after the aquascaping and filled up the waste collector, shutting down the skimmer.

11. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Also, I should note that it is a good thing to have a drain in the floor...since the DT is in the house, while adding rock I was not watching the sump....which quietly overflowed as I continued adding rock....

I turned the main pump on and opened the drain valve to get the sump back down to "operating" level.

I already like not siphoning water, hauling buckets, and cleaning up the floor in the kitchen....

:victory:

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

[​IMG]

Looks like I have a heater that has gone bad....