Equipment Room, or not?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grubbsj, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Hello Otty,

I'm planning 2 pumps, one for the closed loop the other for the sump and equipment.

For the sump return pump, the plan is for it to provide the Bullet-3 Skimmer, Chiller, UV-Filter (planned to be in-line with the supply to the chiller), Calcium, Phosphate, and carbon reactors. So, only a portion of the return pump will go back to the tank... I've been wondering if there would be enough return to the tank with a 3600 gph (2800 gph @ 4' head) pump, the skimmer requires 1600 gph...

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

this seems oddly familiar...hehe, it's almost just like otty's set up!!

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Thank you Otty!!

Four years ago, when we set up our previous 75g tank, we wanted a room divider style peninsula tank between the dining room and living room....but we lacked the vision or plan for how to be successful....

When Otty, goes through the effort of documenting what they have done, sharing their experiences, and offering assistance....why would anyone considering a peninsula style tank not take seriously the success that Otty has enjoyed....????

Thanks to Otty's example, we have taken the 75g down and will soon have the 120g running....

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If you are going to run all of that equipment off the pump you had better step it up to a 5,800gph because your going to loose too much gph for the smaller one to benefit the tank.
    I used one of these for the manifold: Product Listing - PVC-Manifolds

6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Flex-PVC, I've not seen their site before... that would save me from buying a bunch of "T"s to make the manifold... Good Idea.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I used all the flex PVC I could on my build. That way I could just bend around things instead of using 45's and 90's that slow gph down.

8. Click Here!

9. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Plumbing

The plan is to complete the wiring this weekend and turn the lights on...

So, next steps, plumbing plan.

The going in desire is to have no power heads in the display tank and only the one in the sump (required for internal recirculation on the Ca Reactor)...

With that said...this limits the input of the skimmer to "clean" water...and so we now have a PM Bullet-3...

Most equipment is already at the house... Still to be ordered: the ozone generator, 2 Reeflow pumps, Oceans Motions, and some PVC...

Not shown in the plan is the RO/DI auto top off feed...

[​IMG]

Options to consider:

• There is a place in the Refugium where a 12" x 24" algae scrubber could easily be added....
    • There is room in the sump where a larger algae scrubber could be added and leverage the tank return....
    • Or the room in the sump could be used to add a bio-ball based wet dry filter....

Your thoughts? Opportunities? Unseen features? Good to have/do? :confused:

Thanks...

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

When I put the above plan together I had the wrong macro algae in mind... it is Chaeto that I plan to use in the high flow area of the refuge. When using this refuge with the 75g, I learned that the low-flow side was too low to keep the chateo alive....

11. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Time for a quick update...

8/3 indoor wiring is not fun to work with or get pulled through the walls/ceilings.... YUCK... :-\

We have ended up with more sheet rock pulled off walls and ceilings than we expected to do. So, this weekend's work is to finish pulling the wire, stub out the plumbing, and get the sheet rock up and taped before Thanksgiving... The wife is not impressed....she has been tagged to spread sheet rock mud... :)

After reviewing the above diagram with OceansMotions, Pacific Marine, & Reef Flo Pumps, the invoices have been paid and product is being shipped....

I'm working now with Digital Aquatics to take advantage of their $100 trade in offer on the purchase of their new Reef Keeper Elite... Check it out: Digital Aquatics Forum • View topic - Trade in, Trade up!

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

The insulation work is now done, two sheet of sheet rock to install, tape, mud, and a floor covering and we can start setting up the equipment.