Equipment Room, or not?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grubbsj, May 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Another 10 gallons changed through the skimmer last night... the NO3 color is moving from Red-Orange to yellow....still greater than 10 and less than 20...

At this time the water change processes in the equipment room is working very well...no buckets to haul, no water to siphon, no spills in the living room...the wife is very happy!!

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

This evening, the NO3 reading is between 5 and 10... another 10 g wet skim in progress....

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Morning, I see that Otty and Missionsix use that service, perhaps they could be of more help.

6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Maintenance & Feeding

So, after 8 months, I'm down to 2" of arrogate in the Ca Reactor...still have ~900 psi in the CO2 bottle (now 2 years old)...So, I topped off the reactor with Carabsea ARM Corse, high Mg mix arrogate. This is about 2x as much as I started with back in November '09.

The second 2 pics show my brine shrimp hatching processes...an inverted 2 L pop bottle with the bottom removed and an air line fitted in the cap...placed in the refugium overflow into the sump (a small enough area that it cannot go anywhere), kept "warm" by the system, lighted by the refugium light,...apply air to stir and eggs...16 to 24 hours later, filter, rinse with Di water, and feed...sit back and watch the frenzy...

Attached Files:

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

This weekend, once again NO3s were up ~20 ppm...after 2-10 gal water changes its down to ~5 ppm...

The O3 levels have been cycling and we've notice that 2 of 3 colonies of Zoos look a bit wimpy...So, starting today and for the next 30 days, the O3 gen will be off...

8. Click Here!

9. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Checked NO3 last night...

~20 ppm, another 10 gallon water change completed, re-filled and staged another 10 for tomorrow...

Cleaned the skimmer collection cup, throat, and Becket Nozzle, cleaned the inlet strainer to the pump...none of this work was past due...so it was a bit more like polishing the cannon ball...

Checked the flow through the chiller, UV, GFO, Carbon, CDN, and Ca Reactor...made no changes...

Opted to add a mechanical filter for a short while to "polish" the water a bit...

Other wise, we are looking good...

Here's the chem summary from last Friday...while testing NO3 after a water change shows an improvement, there is still a source....

IMG00219.jpg

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Checked again over the weekend... So,after the water change the NO3 measured ~5-10 ppm... Checked again last night, still "about" the same ~5-10 ppm, I also ran a check on the effluent of the CDN at the same time and cannot discern a difference in the color between the two...

So, the next step will be to load Sulfur into the anaerobic section of the CDN to enhance the base upon which this this section of the CDN operates. Additionally, since sulfur will change the pH on the CDN effluent will to be acidic in the processes, I'll be re-routing the CDN Effluent into the Ca Reactor's input...

Carib sea media: CaribSea L.S.M. Live Sulfur Media 1 Gallon

Thoughts/Concerns?

11. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

...Well, lacking any feed back or comments, I have moved ahead with the addition of Sulfur to the CDN with the addition of 5 cups of sulfur to the inner chamber. With this seeding, the CDN effluent has been re-routed to be the input to the Ca Reactor. The initial flow through the CDN/Ca Reactor was established at 40 cc/min. Ca Reactor pH continues to be controlled at 6.24...

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

OH, chem results for this weekend showed that NO3 is still 5 - 10 ppm (ran another 10 g water change) and PO4 is .03 ppm. So, for next weekend if PO4 is higher I'll change out the GFO and Carbon.