"Enthralled!"

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Mar 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

cool

i think clams are one of the most awesome things that can be added to a tank

2. Click Here!

3. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

hey i want to get a clam but i here they get huge are there any types of clams that dont get huge

4. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

[quote author=JOER0178 link=board=General;num=1079610422;start=0#11 date=04/12/04 at 05:22:29]hey i want to get a clam but i here they get huge are there any types of clams that dont get huge[/quote]

for starters ;)

T. Crocea, T. Maxima, and T. Derasa require the most intense lighting. Recommended lighting is Metal Halide.
    some have had these under less lighting, but, IMO, i want them to thrive, rather than survive ;)
    T. Squamosa, recommended lighting is medium to high.

with the size,

Tricacna gigas the largest of the giant clams (shell length up to 44"). These attain massive size in a relatively short amount of tim - a few decades, not centuries, with the majority of growth in the first decade. Large, established T. gigas do not adapt well to being moved.

T. derasa the 2nd largest clam. The derasa is the easiest giant clamj to maintain in captivity. It adapts well to any type of lighting and grows rapidly.

T. squamosa the 3rd largest clam, perhaps the most attractive. The mantle of the squamosa expands the greatest amount of any giant clam.

T. maxima This species si the most colorful of the giant clams. It's shell has a maximum shell lenth of 15", it is relatively slow growing. Be sure to add a trace element supplement containing iron and manganese to maintain the zooxanthellae populations under intense lighting. Giant clams can bleach just like corals, and these two elements help them to maintain their zooxanthellae and pigmentation.

T. crocea This clam is most distinguishable by its larger byssus opening. This clam bores into coral heads in the wild. The clams are extremely sensitive to changes in light, and they react by quickly withdrawing the mantle when they senese the shadow you cast. T. crocea is the most delicate giant clam species in captivity, probably b/c it is accustomed to more intense light than other species. the crocea is a bit smaller than the maxima, around 10"-12", but require a lot of light ;)

Hope that helps

Jay

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Totally agree w/Tdevil re: lights...was prime motivator go thru couple weeks "explaining process" w/wife and why the need for Metal Halides.. :p

Claims doing great under it...

Rgds,

OmarD

[​IMG]

(Cool Philippine stamp image I found on web)

6. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@ Boomer, Thanks for tip/review on Daniel Knop. Will put on want to have list.

"triggers" thought re: books, will start another thread...

Rgds,

OmarD
    [​IMG]